good speaker to use for Little Gem MKII?

Started by bazzwazzle, September 09, 2004, 01:47:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bazzwazzle

any decent ones to use and where could i purchase it?

Sic

Weber has a good selection of speakers, they might be a bit expensive for a small practice amp, but im not sure what you are going for.  weber also has some good switches for a decent price.

petemoore

I'm using old console speakers, they vary in tonal quality, if you can find vintage RCA they're good, as are others.
 I use one for a 2 x 386 amp and it works really good, I have two twelves of unknown variety that I use with the MkII 50w, and they sound great also, but only for lower output loading of the 50W's, they can handle whatever a 386 pushes, but they blow easy with a big amp.
 8''-10'' varieties are what I go for usually, removing any high end networks.
 You can test ohmage with a DMM.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Mark Hammer

The cheesy 8" full range speakers with whizzer cones that are usually sold as ceiling PA speakers can actually sound really nice sometimes.  Best of all, they are usually rated around 5-10W (which means they are intended to do something useful at their rated bandwidth with less than a watt coming in) and are dirt cheap.  I can often pick them up for <$10.

They aren't Jensens or Celestions, but if you want cheap and functional they work great.

bazzwazzle

Quote from: Mark HammerThe cheesy 8" full range speakers with whizzer cones that are usually sold as ceiling PA speakers can actually sound really nice sometimes.  Best of all, they are usually rated around 5-10W (which means they are intended to do something useful at their rated bandwidth with less than a watt coming in) and are dirt cheap.  I can often pick them up for <$10.

They aren't Jensens or Celestions, but if you want cheap and functional they work great.

could you please tell me more on where to pick one up? ebay perhaps? or do you know of any stores that may carry them?
thanks.

Michael Allen

Hit the thrift circuit! That's where I find all of the speakers I've used.

piano boy

I picked up a atlas 8" pa speaker with whizzer from ebay, and it works great for a little gem in an open back cabinet. Very portable, good sound. I paid a little more that Mark mentioned with shipping. The cabinet was made from the sideboards of a bed frame I pulled out of the trash.

I bought 2 8" speakers from ebay that were pulled from an organ, and in the same cabinet with the same amp they are kinda honky, no bottom and no top, all mid. I'm putting them in a bigger cabinet with more air behind them to see what happens. I've got the cabinet big enough for 4x8" array, so if I don't like what I hear I may combine them with some other speakers to get a voicing I want, or may try closing some of the back.

Also was able to pick up a 10" Kustom speaker that was surplus from a PA cabinet at Musician's Friend outlet in Kansas City :) Soon to be in another cabinet, I have high hopes for it.

RLBJR65

If you want something cheap and compact, I have built several LM386 based amps and installed them in unpowerd computer speaker cases.
Check out http://meci.com Mendelson's have some unpowerd speakers that are only $1.95 a pair. You might try http://partsexpress.com
they have tons of speakers also, jacks, switches, hammond and other project boxes and just about anything else a diy builder or audio enthusiast needs.

The speakers in these are 10w and sound decent enough, small case so you can drag them around just about anywhere. I've not tried the L.G. Mk2 but the amps I build will run for 3 or 4 hours on a 9v battery, my buddies love them.
Richard Boop

Paul Marossy

http://www.partsexpress.com has a million different speakers for very reasonable prices.

I personally have had very good success ratio buying speakers and various wall warts at thrift stores for cheap.