Easy Phaser Project.

Started by lightningfingers, September 09, 2004, 03:17:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lightningfingers

I've been working on the easy phaser project for some time now, (about 6 months in fact) and i'm happy to say its finally finished.
I didn't have room on the page itself for acknowledgements, so here they are: R.G, for his technology of phasers and flangers, article, my main source of information, MXR for ispiring me to make a simpler phaser that did the same job, and J.D Sleep for his schematic templates and discrete buffer PDF.
If anyone is actually interested i'll draw up my perf layout.

Let me know what ya think.
U N D E F I N E D

mikeb

Looks nice .... is there really a volume boost using the 4559 rather than another dual op-amp?

I know it adds another two parts, but placing resistors in parallel with the LDRs (say 100k -> 200k) might help increase the phasing effect by making them 'track' a little more closely. Worth a try?

Cheers

Mike

Marcos - Munky

Looks cool and simple. Could you record some soundclips?

gez

I only see a vibrato circuit.  Where's the wet/dry mix at the output?

Edit: unless the 'feedback' connection is doing the honors?
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

gez

PS  It would be an idea to show the pin 8 connection for the ICL7611.   It's not a good idea to leave it 'floating'.

Well done for getting it going though, 'bout bleedin time!!!  :)
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

Hal

what type of wave does the LFO output?  If you're going for simplicity, it seems like you could have used a much simpler LFO, if im not missing something...

looks awesome, though.  I'll get it on breadboard as soon as i get some free space (I have 4 projects on now)

lightningfingers

Quote from: Halwhat type of wave does the LFO output? If you're going for simplicity, it seems like you could have used a much simpler LFO, if im not missing something...

still kind of a sawtooth, but tis much more triangular now (cheers gez :) )

Quote from: gezEdit: unless the 'feedback' connection is doing the honors?

you got it! its weird but it doesn't actully pitch shift that much at all even without the feedback loop, the ridiculously big version (16 stages) has a proper output mixer. I was going to include it (honest :D ) in the small one but like i said i was going for simplicity. I'll put the output mixer on the page any way though...

Quote from: Marcos - MunkyLooks cool and simple. Could you record some soundclips?

I wish i could, but my computers mic is broken (soundcards crap anyway) next time i'm in the studio i'll see what i can do.

Thanks for your input guys :mrgreen:
U N D E F I N E D

strungout

grats man!

I got a P45 working this week. This project looks like something I need to try. Any specification for the LDRs?
"Displaying my ignorance for the whole world to teach".

"Taste can be acquired, like knowledge. What you find bitter, or can't understand, now, you might appreciate later. If you keep trying".

lightningfingers

QuoteAny specification for the LDRs?

the ones i used go from about 10R to 1k. Its not real picky about LDRs, you can adjust the LEDs brightness to accomodate a wide range.

QuoteI know it adds another two parts, but placing resistors in parallel with the LDRs (say 100k -> 200k) might help increase the phasing effect by making them 'track' a little more closely. Worth a try?

Probably, if you are using something like the ORP12, which has a typical dark resistance of 10M.
U N D E F I N E D

Boofhead

There's nothing wrong with the basic idea but it won't work as shown.

The opamps aren't biased properly.  The LDRs should go to a Vcc/2 divider+cap, and with that in the input buffer could be biased from the same divider.  So you will need to add a biasing network.

gez

Well spotted Boof!  Perhaps it would be easier to use an op-amp for the input buffer?  Use a dual and the other half could be used for mixing at the output.

lightningfingers

well its only a few more parts,

U N D E F I N E D

gez

Quote from: lightningfingerswell its only a few more parts

And it could be a few less if you get rid of the trannie plus associated circuitry and use an opamp for the input buffer (now that you have that second divider that is).   :)

Alternatively you could have used 'noiseless' biasing for the trannie (resistor from its base to centre of divider using smaller values - signal couples directly through to base) and this would have allowed you to make use of its divider to bias the op-amps too.

The 100k from output of last op-amp to V ref seems superfluous.

gez

PS lower 220k resistor in the divider and the 4k7 emitter resistor should go to earth and not V ref.

gez

If you get rid of the upper 220k resistor in the divider (leave the lower one connected to Vref) and ground the 4k7 emitter resistor this will give you the 'noisless biasing' I mentioned.  Though it would be wise to make the resistor values smaller for the divider used to bias the op-amps (and now the trannie).

lightningfingers

Yes, yes the emitter resistor should be grounded, this is what happens when you sub coffee for sleep   :)

Hold on a second, i DID ground that resistor (why did i put it like that on the schematic?) :?

I will try the noisless biasing thing, but the background noise isn't all that prominent now, could you explain why this arrangment results in less noise?

It sounds better now, i'm hearing more o' that pitch shift 8)
U N D E F I N E D

gez

Quote from: lightningfingersI will try the noisless biasing thing, but the background noise isn't all that prominent now, could you explain why this arrangment results in less noise?

It's just a term to describe a type of biasing which can result in less noise if done a certain way.  The reason I mentioned it is because your revised circuit has two dividers, one of which is superfluous - the trannie can be biased from the same divider used for the opamps or vice-versa.

The noiseless arrangement rusults in slightly higher imput impedance - one 220k in parallel with the trannies input impedance rather than 110k in parallel with it (I think that's right I can't see the schematic while I type) - and one less component (but it would still be less if you used a bloody op-amp!)   :D

The method is only 'noiseless' if you use smaller value resistors for the divider.  For an explanation search for RG's post on the subject (the term is his I believe) it'll be a lot better than anything I can cobble together!  :D

lightningfingers

Okay gez, you win  :lol:  the next version will have an opamp input buffer.

A word about soundclips, I have MS sound recorder ( :oops: ) installed but I press record, and the bloody mic wont pick up anything. It says something about no mic being detected, but its a working mic, and its  plugged into the socket with with "MIC" written on it..  Can anyone help me out with this, as I would like to put  some clips on the page.
U N D E F I N E D