Previous topic - Next topic

lasmith03

Anyone have one?

Lance
srv4@aol.com
www.4DoorRamblers.com
www.CrosscutBluesBand.com

cd

Do you need it for a repair of that pedal, or something similar?  If not, there are a lot better sounding Fuzz Face variants out there.  Start with "Technology of the Fuzz Face" at www.geofex.com and tweak to your heart's content.

OK, I know what you're going to say, where do I get transistors then?  Answer: www.smallbearelec.com.  Next question will be: wow those seem expensive, can't I just buy some other ones off eBay or NTE and use those?  Answer: don't bother, they will either be leaky or untested, either way you'll end up spending more $$$ (testing and throwing away bad ones) and wasting time you could have spend building.  SB sells sets specifically tested for FF circuits.  Next question after that will be: well where can I find the real original AC128 or NKT275 transistors like Dunlop uses?  Answer: don't bother, Dunlop just slaps AC128 or whatever onto NEW Ge transistors they have custom made for them.  Next question after that: well how can I get the real deal tone if I don't have the real deal transistors?  Answer: unless you're also playing a cranked 100W Super Lead all the time (and why would you be, since you'd be in jail if you were) don't worry about it - just PLAY. :) :) :)

lasmith03

I need it so I can figure out what the heck I'm looking at. All the schematics I've found don't have the two trim pots in them like my jd-f2. I'm an computer engineer with just enough practical experience to be dangerous, but not enough to know what everything in there is. Sorry, but school doesn't teach you anything practical, just formulas and crap that I never use.

I see these:
2 330uf Caps (C4 C6)
22uf Cap (C1)
2 other "metal film" caps (C2 & C5)
1 really small cap (labeled C3)
2 bogus NKT275s
5 resistors of variable sizes (I've found a color chart on the net)
2 100K trim pots
1 part I can't identify (RT1)
1 switch

Should I keep the old NKT275s and get "real" ones or do you think I'll be ok? Thanks for your help so far.

Fret Wire

Is one of these what you're looking for? My apologies, I don't know who to credit (who redid RG's schem.) for the first schematic.
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

cd

Does anyone know the differences/similarities between Dunlop's 3 different fuzz face derivatives?  They are:

1) JD-F2 Fuzz Face - round red case, PNP Ge transistors, no DC jack.  I assume like the one posted above

2) JH-2S Jimi Hendrix Classic Fuzz - small red MXR size case, PNP Ge transistors, DC jack, takes standard -ve ground power supply (tip negative).  Like the JD-F2 but flipped for negative ground??

3) JH-3S Jimi Hendrix Octave Fuzz - small black MXR size case, DC jack, standard -ve ground power supply (tip negative). Circuit = ??

Fret Wire

They made the round red case model with/without the black rubber around the switch, and with/without the Dallas Arbiter sticker. Some models with the black rubber had Dallas Arbiter emblems, and some didn't. I believe the emblems ended after Dave Fox and Jim Dunlop discovered each other's work.

The Red case model came with new production NKT275's as well as NTE's. There were also, I believe, round red case models with silicons (MPSA18's).

I modded two of the early round reissues. One had NKT's and the other NTE's. Both sounded like ass. I replaced the the trannys with TI 2N404's, biased, and they sounded good after. They used original Dallas values except for the .01, they used .1uf.

Tough to keep track of the Dunlop variants. I've never checked out one of their mxr sized fuzzes.
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)