Tone and Fuzz on a Muffer

Started by jayp5150, September 10, 2004, 09:34:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jayp5150

I'm pretty new at doing this stuff, and I thought I'd build the Muffer (before trying to do an easyvibe first off...), but I'd like to add a tone and fuzz pot.  Someone mentioned putting a pot in series with the clipping diodes in the archives, how would this be wired up?

Also, should a tone pot go before the fuzz, or after?  Would it be wired to C1 or C2, or neither.

Pot values?

Thanks.  Sorry for the newbie question.

petemoore

You go to AMZ labs notebook and lookat saturation controls article, check out warp control while you're there, and Big Muff tone control is used on numerous builds, but you might want the transistor following it for gain recovery.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

David

Quote from: jayp5150I'm pretty new at doing this stuff, and I thought I'd build the Muffer (before trying to do an easyvibe first off...), but I'd like to add a tone and fuzz pot.  Someone mentioned putting a pot in series with the clipping diodes in the archives, how would this be wired up?

Also, should a tone pot go before the fuzz, or after?  Would it be wired to C1 or C2, or neither.

Pot values?

Thanks.  Sorry for the newbie question.

Jayp:

I built one of these a year ago.  Matter of fact, I'm still using it.  It's just about the only distortion I use -- at least until I build another one.  I built it stock according to Orman's schematic.  The only thing I did differently is socket the transistor so I could do comparison shopping.  I had a 2N3904 in there and it was fine.  I put a 2N5089 in there and it was just outrageous!  I think it sounds great, even with my triple-single-coil Strat clone.  Sometimes I goose it with an EQ or a compressor and it even handles that -- beautifully!

jayp5150

Pete,
 Thanks for the tip, that seems to be what I need.  
David,
 I'm glad to hear you're pleased with this pedal.

I just bought all the stuff today (even Jack's idea to use the 4" PVC cap), and hope to build it tonight or tomorrow.  I'm thinking of "Sewer Fuzz" or Sewer Stomp."  Maybe "Septic Screamer."
I dunno'.
Any suggestions?

Thanks again, guys.

jayp5150

Hey, I just realized something.  The lab note on AMZ states that the control works for diodes that are sent to ground.  In the Muffer, the signal goes through the transistor first, then grounds off of the emitter through a resistor.  Does this make a difference.  Would I just ground the diodes off of the pot, then connect the output of the pot to C3?  I'm hoping to do this tomorrow (Saturday) morning.  

Also, I have a 50k pot on hand, how will that affect the saturation control (it calls for a 10k).  Wil I just have finer/coarser control, or will it not work at all.

Thanks.

jayp5150

New problem.

I built this Saturday, with a saturation control, and it did not work--no signal when on.  I reverted to the basic schem, and it bypasses fine still, but I only get  a very muted, gated kind of sound when on.  I have to really whack a string to get anything out of it, then it's just relly "squishy" and quiet.  Not really any kind of tone or dist at all.

I double checked my work, and actually re-did it on a new board, and the same thing.  Any clues?

(sorry, I know this is a basic question, but I can't find any posts about the actual build of this pedal.  I feel like an idiot.)

Thanks

David