headphone jacks...

Started by Narcosynthesis, September 11, 2004, 05:56:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Narcosynthesis

hello, i have a vamp 2, and i want to be able to use it using the normal headphones i have for listening to my minidisk player with, the only problem being that the vamp uses a 1/4 inch jack, and my headphones are 3.5mm

i have a converter to switch between the sizes, but when i use it i only get mono sound (both channels compressed into one) through one headphone...

anyone know whats wrong here? the same probalme happened when my brother tried using a similar adapter to do the same thing with his boss me-50

David

Ge_Whiz

Does the vamp have stereo out or mono out? Is the adapter you're using a stereo-to-stereo supplied with the headphones? (You can tell if the plug end is tip-ring-barrel or just tip-barrel.)

If the output of the vamp is mono, then you need to make up an adapter. Use a mono 6.25 mm plug and run two 10k - 47k resistors to the tip and ring pins of a stereo 3.5 mm socket, plus ground, of course. The resistors aren't absolutely necessary, but prevent damage to the input/output if current flows.

Narcosynthesis

i am pretty sure it is stereo, just bounced down to mono, as i am getting both the repeats from ping pong delays but in the single ear

the adapter i have is a stereo one, as far as the jack has three parts (tip, middle, sleeve)

i was just wandering if 3.5mm headphones are wired differently? tip and sleeve being hot and ring being ground or something else odd like that?

David

travissk

My V-Amp2 is sitting right here in front of me; when I use headphones in the "Headphones" slot, both adapters do the stereo

I have two adapters; one came with my headphones (cheap Sennheiser DJ ones, the bass is too big but the price was right - $20?).

One is a cheap one my dad had lying around, it might even be this Hosa one: http://www.hosatech.com/hosa/products/GPM-103.html .

Both of them work just fine with both the Sennheiser headphones and a pair of $1 Radio Shack cheapies.

I do have an adapter that goes from 2 RCA plugs to one 3.5mm stereo jack. It's from an old Macintosh LC and will mix the signals to mono.

So I'm not sure what to suggest, since it could either be the adapter or the headphones; what type of headphones do you have, and can you test with another pair?

Another test you can do is to set the mode on the V-Amp to S1; that's the default but just to check, press B and D together, then scroll to S1.

Sorry I can't be of much help, but I can verify that the V-Amp does indeed produce a stereo signal out of the headphone output with mode=S1.

Narcosynthesis

its a pair of normal headphones, just the same as you can pick up in most stores for minidisk/mp3 players or the like

and i am sure its not just my vamp, as the same thing happened to my brother using an adapter and headphones on the headphones out on his me-50

David