help identifying pot

Started by chokeyou, September 12, 2004, 11:35:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chokeyou

the title is self explanitory, i've dug through google and the search on the forum and come up with nothing. I've got a moog expression pedal. I've got a multimeter, what setting should i have it on? and what exactly do the numbers mean when i got it maxed? on the 2M setting of my multimeter, when the pot is maxed out it reads about .075 so does that make this a 75K pot? thanks.

niftydog

QuoteI've got a multimeter, what setting should i have it on?

depends on your multimeter and the value of the pot! The lowest setting that does not result in an over-range error will give the most accuracy.

does the pot have three terminals? One is the wiper (generally the middle one) and the other two are the ends of the resistance element.

Across those two pins you'll find a constant resistance. ie; it won't change when the pot is turned. The value across those terminals is the pot value.

0.075 on a 2M range is indeed 75k.

To work out linear or log you'll need to find the halfway point of the pots rotation and measure the resistance from the wiper to the other terminals. If both measurements are roughly the same, you've got a linear pot. If not, log.

Now, reverse log is a little trickier. You'd need to turn the pot in increments (like 10%, 20% etc.) and note the values of resistance as you go.
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!
“It also sounded something like the movement of furniture, which He
hadn't even created yet, and He was not so pleased.” God (aka Tony Levin)