Phase Shifter

Started by jmusser, September 13, 2004, 04:28:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmusser

I'm wanting to build a phase shifter, and the one on the geocities site looks fairly simple. It this just some sort of generic design, or is it modeled after something in particular? I guess I want to ask  the usual questions. Has anyone had any luck building this, Does it sound pretty good, and, can you actually get those AM9709CN Chips? It's at http://www.geocities.com/j4_student/cookbookphaseshifter.gif  I have a Dano Chicken Salad, which gives a pretty good swishy Univibe type sound, and phase shifting, but I also want a type of phase shifter that doesn't have the Lesley swish in the background. I have played one that I love the sound of before, that I believe was a "Ross" Phase Shifter in a white box. It has the AC chord hanging out of the back of it. That's the sound I'm looking for right there! Unfortunately, I can't talk the guy out of it (imagine that).
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

keko

try the phase 45. It's fairly easy to build, and sounds really cool. I also have a Small Stone, and really like 'em both, so you can tell where I come from.
.::keko::.
www.qpd.cl // desahógate ahora!
www.basa.cl // Digital « Design » Atelier

Mark Hammer

Best of luck getting an AM9709!!

There is a layout for the later Ross Phaser at www.tonepad.com.  It uses LM13600 dual OTA chips, which are quite available, much better matched that any 4 randomly selected FETs are and priced about the same.  There are also a number of really interesting mods you can do to the basic design to create new sounds.  The Ross phaser (also described as the "Ropez" by Francisco Pena, who oversees Tonepad) is sort of the next step up from the Electro-Harmonix Small Stone. and is definitely every bit as decent sounding and considerably easier and cheaper to make, as well as more amenable to mods by those whose chops are limited.  Recommended.

jmusser

Thanks for heading me in the right direction on this. If this is even remotely like the Ross I've played before, it'll be well worth the time and effort.
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

Fp-www.Tonepad.com

The Ross phaser is one of my all time favorite projects.

Search the forum for mods, I have tried the vibrato and the switchable univibe cap mod, both are great. I haven't tried the phase filter mod, but I've heard good things about it.

Here's the link to the project:

http://www.tonepad.com/project.asp?id=25

Fp
www.tonepad.com : Effect PCB Layout artwork classics and originals : www.tonepad.com

Erich F

FP:

I tried downloading the PDF file for the Ross Phaser but it says that I have to visit the projects page first, which I did.

How do you download the file. Is there something I am missing? Thanks

Erich F

Mark Hammer

Load up the file in your browser (which will use Acrobat as a plug-in).  IN the taskbar for Acrobat (not the one for the browser itself), you will see a diskette icon for saving whatever is being shown in Acrobat.  Click on that and save the file you are looking at.

Please note you will have to name the file yourself.  I don't know about everyone else, but my browser (Mozilla Firefox) will show the file as "getfile.asp" or something like that.  Give the file a real name that means something to you, along with the ".pdf" file extension, and save it to your hard-drive.  Works like a charm.

jmusser

I just went to the PDF prompt underneath "layout", and in about 20 seconds, the schematic and PCBs popped up. Do you have the newest version of Adobe Acrobat?

Fp-www.Tonepad.com

Mark/Erich:

If you right click where it says "Click here" and then select "save as.." you can save it and it'll include the file name.

Erich, I think you have to enable cookies on your browser.

Fp
www.tonepad.com : Effect PCB Layout artwork classics and originals : www.tonepad.com

Erich F

Enabling cookies did the trick. I don't even remember ever disabling them. Thanks to all for your help.