More low end from a TS-808?

Started by Danny G, September 13, 2004, 09:41:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danny G

Just wondering if there's a way to get more low end out of my TS-808.  If I increase the input cap (from 0.47 or 0.047, can't remember which is in there) would that help?

Thanks

Joe Hart

That should work. I have had some luck replacing caps with large voltage metal caps. It's subtle, but I notice a tighter, punchier bass response. Not really a low end boost, but it seems to cut through a little better. Hope this helps.
-Joe Hart

cd

Nope.  The input cap is rolling off lows beyond the range of the guitar, something like 15Hz IIRC.  You can't increase lows without altering the tone of the pedal.  If you increase the cap in the feedback loop (the .047u cap to .1u or higher) to increase the bass, there's just moer distortion in the bass (as it gets clipped) and mids.  Sounds whoa! cool! at first (and you may like the tone, who knows) but it's not the 808 sound.  Play it for a while, you'll notice it sounds muddier and doesn't cut through as much.

My best advice: stick an EQ pedal after it to goose the low end.

analogmike

Quote from: cdNope.  The input cap is rolling off lows beyond the range of the guitar, something like 15Hz IIRC.  You can't increase lows without altering the tone of the pedal.  If you increase the cap in the feedback loop (the .047u cap to .1u or higher) to increase the bass, there's just moer distortion in the bass (as it gets clipped) and mids.  Sounds whoa! cool! at first (and you may like the tone, who knows) but it's not the 808 sound.  Play it for a while, you'll notice it sounds muddier and doesn't cut through as much.

This CD guy has good ears!
DIY has unpleasant realities, such as that an operating soldering iron has two ends differing markedly in the degree of comfort with which they can be grasped. - J. Smith

mike  ~^v^~ aNaLoG.MaN ~^v^~   vintage guitar effects

http://www.analogman.com

Steben

Quote from: analogmike
Quote from: cdNope.  The input cap is rolling off lows beyond the range of the guitar, something like 15Hz IIRC.  You can't increase lows without altering the tone of the pedal.  If you increase the cap in the feedback loop (the .047u cap to .1u or higher) to increase the bass, there's just moer distortion in the bass (as it gets clipped) and mids.  Sounds whoa! cool! at first (and you may like the tone, who knows) but it's not the 808 sound.  Play it for a while, you'll notice it sounds muddier and doesn't cut through as much.

This CD guy has good ears!

... and speaks the truth. EQ after TS is the best solution!
  • SUPPORTER
Rules apply only for those who are not allowed to break them