US source for Germanium components??

Started by audioguy, September 13, 2004, 01:17:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

audioguy

Does anyone know of a place to get some germanium parts? Other than Ebay?

Thanks!

Audioguy

petemoore

You know about Small Bear??
 For diodes you could try Mouser or other online electronics suppliers.
 Are there specific parts or applications you're intending to use them in?
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

aron

audioguy

I guess I should have been more precise... I was looking at expanding my builds to include some of the more hard to find GE stuff like the OC44 and the like.
Diodes arent an issue... and I just found 2n404's for .25 each

theaxeman

While Small Bear don't have actual OC44s they do have a japanese equivelent, its way cheaper, more reliable, and it is electronicaly identical, I have used it in two Rangemasters with good effect.

audioguy

I didnt know that! Where is that listed? The Germanium section is a little tricky to navigate

Lonestarjohnny

What No. is the Sub for the OC44 ?
Johnny

audioguy

Smallbears... oops he doesnt really use part numbers does he- my mistake! Whats Steve call those Japanese oc44's?

the_badcliff

I was noticing that Smallbear now has Japanese PNP, American PNP, and American NPN germaniums for the rangemaster.  How do all these compare in the circuit.

I, of course, just bought the American PNP because I am of the "more money=better than" philosophy.  Sounds like you prefer the Japanese one though?

audioguy

I dont have a preference yet- Ive never used one... so Im open to experiment

smallbearelec

To my ears, the Japanese parts have a little more "dirt" than the higher-quality U.S.-made ones. Some people will like this and some won't. The difference in price in this case isn't about tone, it reflects the higher price that I had to pay for TI and other brands.

I have never fished for OC44 and such. From what I have seen, their value to DIYers is now so well-known that that they command very steep prices.

Regards
SD