TV sets from 70-80's

Started by jrc4558, September 13, 2004, 10:50:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrc4558

Can there be any useful parts in them? Are they worth tearing apart?

In any case, what's inside of a TV from that area?

I'm shure someone here should know the answer. :):):)

Lonestarjohnny

There will be tube stuff in the 50's & 60's, in the late 60's on you'll find some good transistor's and power supply's of all kind's, pot's, wireing, switch's, just be careful with the Main's tranny, it is HIGH VOLTAGE.
Johnny

b_rogers

i got TONS of trim pots and caps of all types outta tv's and computer monitors.  even got some germ trannies out of a old clock radio!
homegrown, family raised couch potatoes. temperament unsurpassed.
http://electricladystaffs.com/

petemoore

Good stuff maynard...I use VCR's and TV's and especially like old monitors.
 The newer stuff doesn't have any pots, instead the up/down buttons that are of no use to DIY pedals.
 I like the colored wires.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

toneman

Naw,
Those things only get the StarTreks with CapainKirk.
They make a nice noize...
at the end of a 4story fall.....
Crrrrraaashhhhhhpinglingsprongshhhhh!!!
Just like HumptyDumpty....
No CrazyGlue needed!!
Oh, ...save the HIVoltage Flyback.....
Caution!! taking one out can B, well, .....Shocking!!!
It's *Not* the filthy electricity....
it's all that jerking around that akill U.....
stayinsulated!!
T
  • SUPPORTER
TONE to the BONE says:  If youTHINK you got a GOOD deal:  you DID!

bwanasonic

An old co-worker of mine used to go around on trash day and collect a bunch of old TVs and take them to a nearby quarry and *tear them apart* with a semi-automatic rifle. Very therapeutic! I don't have much room/time/patience for the salvage/ junk collecting thing, so broken things now tend to go promptly to the curb. Mind you, this is after years of toting useless junk around that I might use for parts *just in case* . I do still have the large control console from a HELL DC350 Drum Scanner I used to operate. Over 50 or so pots, miles of wire. But I can't yet bring myself to tear it apart for sentimental reasons.  :(  Always wanted to find some cool audio/ FX usage for the photomultiplier tubes those things used.

Kerry M

jrc4558

Thank you gentlement.
So if the PT is high-voltage, wadayasay, is it any good for tube application?

dv8

I found a JRC 4558 in my old answering machine :mrgreen:

Monitors are filled with trim pots too.

-brian

niftydog

QuoteThere will be tube stuff in the 50's & 60's

There's "tube stuff" in brand new, flat screen CRT TVs too!  :)

Just be aware that the picture tube itself is a motherf#*ing large capacitor that has the potential to hold around 20kV!!!  :shock:

Don't go prodding around the tube or it's high voltage supply components unless you know what you're doing!

Large caps on the circuit board can also pose a danger, especially around the PSU.

Don't bother salvaging electrolytic caps, not worth the effort.
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!
“It also sounded something like the movement of furniture, which He
hadn't even created yet, and He was not so pleased.” God (aka Tony Levin)

lightningfingers

If you have yourself a tube TV there you may be able to sell the main parts to some vintage TV enthusiasts/restorers...
U N D E F I N E D

runmikeyrun

I used to score them out of the garbage and blow them up with H-200s.  Seems we blew up a lot of stuff in that era, but tvs were the best.

I get mostly computer monitors in my neighborhood.  I mostly use the wires out of them, but occasionally i'll scavenge the diodes or a few caps.  I stay away from the CRT and its Shocking Terminals of Death!
Bassist for Foul Spirits
Head tinkerer at Torch Effects
Instagram: @torcheffects

Dislikes: old women

runmikeyrun

I used to score them out of the garbage and blow them up with H-200s.  Seems we blew up a lot of stuff in that era, but tvs were the best.

I get mostly computer monitors in my neighborhood.  I mostly use the wires out of them, but occasionally i'll scavenge the diodes or a few caps.  I stay away from the CRT and its Shocking Terminals of Death!
Bassist for Foul Spirits
Head tinkerer at Torch Effects
Instagram: @torcheffects

Dislikes: old women

Tony Forestiere

If you take a jumper wire (thick wire with alligator clips on both ends)...clip one to frame ground, and the other to the metal shaft of an insulated, long-handled screwdriver; hold the insulated handle (one hand in your pocket   :wink: ) and shove the metal tip of the driver under the "suction cup" High Voltage lead of the CRT...you'll discharge the CRT voltage. BTW...these things can hold a dangerous charge for YEARS!
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together." Carl Zwanzig
"Whoso neglects learning in his youth, loses the past and is dead for the future." Euripides
"Friends don't let friends use Windows." Me

niftydog

...and they can get charge back from nowhere AFTER you've discharged them. I usually keep a clip lead attached to the anode terminal and ground after I've discharged the sucker. Can't be too safe.

I've scavenged some good (but odd) parts from old PC monitors. Serial EEPROMs, kick ass op amps with humungous bandwidth, beefy bridge rectifiers, hoopy transistors and FETs, even the odd IGBT rated to 1500V!!!

Switches, LEDs, heatsinks galore, relays, small caps, varistors, thermistors, and even the odd 20W resistor.

Plus, if you're into winding your own transformers, there's usually a decent former or two to be had, but they're not always re-windable!
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!
“It also sounded something like the movement of furniture, which He
hadn't even created yet, and He was not so pleased.” God (aka Tony Levin)

toneman

if the TV works(and only gets the old StarTrek) :) ,
and, If U R brave and resourcefull,
U can turn it into (tada) an ocilloscope to display pretty  lisajouis images.
note:  lisajouis may not B spelled correctly... :?
U need to build & adapt an X/Y generator/deflector.
No, not a Klingon "deflector".....
Scopes use electrostatic beam deflection.
TVs use *electomagnetic* beam deflection.
No Scotty,  not *that* "beam"......
(thats those coils on the neck of the picture tube)
Listen 2 those guys on the discharging of the picture..!!
tube's anode....B&W--around 13KV, color around 22KV.
That's KiloVolts....they don't call is KILLO for nothin' :twisted:
:shock:
stayinsulated
tone
  • SUPPORTER
TONE to the BONE says:  If youTHINK you got a GOOD deal:  you DID!