New Layout : Nut Cruncher II

Started by Michael Allen, September 14, 2004, 02:35:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Allen

This is Gez's CMOS distortion. Click-o the link-o...

gez

Thank you Michael!  

I honestly thought this one had sunk without trace. Nice to know someone out there picked up on it!  :D
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

puretube

that whole CMOS stuff hasn`t sunk at all...
8)

haspelman

Thank you! It´s very interesting.

Hal

can i have a link to a schematic...

a google search for "nut cruncher" yeilds only sex toys :( lol

puretube

info saved to HD...

gez

Quote from: Hala google search for "nut cruncher" yeilds only sex toys

No darling, I was just looking for a distortion schematic...honestly!..no don't be like that!...darling??... :D

Here's the original thread

http://diystompboxes.com/sboxforum/viewtopic.php?t=20833&highlight=4007

The schematic seems a little temperamental in showing itself but seems alright if you refresh the page.
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

puretube

ooops,I musta missed that original thread at the time.... - thanx -  :)
(been too much into TrueZeroFlangers, around easter)

strungout

Oy.

Nice site! But you should really think about getting that pedal pics link and your PDFs to pop up in another window, just to keep things from being stuck in a small frame. If you don't know how to do it, I can help.

Ciao.
"Displaying my ignorance for the whole world to teach".

"Taste can be acquired, like knowledge. What you find bitter, or can't understand, now, you might appreciate later. If you keep trying".

Fret Wire

I just realized that uses the 4007. :oops:  I thought it was 4049 based. I have plenty 4049's. Crap, I did another TI sample request last nite. I coulda ordered some 4007's. :cry:
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

gez

If anyone wants to give a home to the schematic feel free to stick it on your website (no need to ask).  I posted this circuit to enthuse people to build their own 4007 circuits (and perhaps post them?).  

As I pointed out in the original thread, you can wire up source resistors to two of the inverters of a 4007 to get phase splitters, so it's quite easy to do a CMOS octave pedal with these chips (though my CMOS phaser never quite got off the ground  :oops: ), though you'd only need to do this to the last stage for an octave distortion.  Those type of octave up circuits aren't my cup of tea, but they might be yours...

Michael Allen

Hey Ton! How's that pedal you were cooking up coming? I was really excited to see it, and I just remembered... Let us in man!

puretube

-sorry, no more details-
8)

Marcos - Munky

Hey Gez, I will put the schematic in my site later.

gez

Quote from: Marcos - MunkyHey Gez, I will put the schematic in my site later.

Nice one Marcos!  :D

Marcos - Munky

Schematic uploaded. Hey Gez, could you record a soundclip of it?

gez

Quote from: Marcos - MunkyHey Gez, could you record a soundclip of it?

I'm afraid not Marcos.  I have too many distortion/overdrives as it is so I didn't actually build this one (though I really liked it).

As I said in a previous post, I wanted people to do some experimenting with this chip (the 4007 is very useful and a lot of ingenious uses can be found for it) and that was my motivation for posting the schematic.

Thanks for finding a home for it though, I'm sure those who build it will like it, or at least get something out of it (easy to mod as it's a simple circuit).  :)

Marcos - Munky

Did you tried it on breadboard? If yes, how it sounds?

gez

Yes, I did breadboard it Marcus and I liked the circuit a lot.  It sounds virtually identical to once of my previous CMOS designs though so there didn't seem much point in me building it.

It's fairly high gain and has a little more crunch than 4049 circuits which gives it more of a Marshall vibe to my ears.  It's pretty dynamic and natural feeling too.  

Even if you don't built this one, I'd urge anyone out there who hasn't tried a CMOS 'fuzz' (what a misnomer!) circuit to give one a go.

Marcos - Munky

Maybe in some days I try it. Which previous CMOS design are you talking about?