Used amp, how'd I do?

Started by jmusser, September 15, 2004, 05:58:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Snow

Thanks Johnny!

I'd love to see a decent picture of one of those again.  I'm at the age when waves of nostalgia come over me sometimes and I just want to see some of the old gear that I remember from my younger days.

Of course I also long for the good old batchelor days when I had a different girl ev...   ooooh wait, that's another thread!

Cheers,

Peter
Remember - A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Paul Marossy

QuoteAnyone remember the original Crate amps? They were built just like a shipping crate (hence the name?). I thought that was a really cool idea, although I believe the amps themselves were not that great.

Maybe this is a case of "fake it until you make it"?! I have never seen a Crate that looked like that one...

David

Quote from: Peter SnowAnyone remember the original Crate amps?  They were built just like a shipping crate (hence the name?). I thought that was a really cool idea, although I believe the amps themselves were not that great.

I can vouch for the "woody" Crates, Paul.  Back in the day, I remember being secretly relieved that I played bass because I didn't want such an oddly-shaped amp that had the potential to deliver splinters to my fingers on gig night!

Now I wish I had bought one anyway...

Paul Marossy

Did they sound any good? They were all solid state back then, weren't they?

David

Quote from: Paul MarossyDid they sound any good? They were all solid state back then, weren't they?

No.  Yes.  But you must remember that back then, amplifiers were powered by wood-fired generators! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Paul Marossy

QuoteBut you must remember that back then, amplifiers were powered by wood-fired generators!

Wow. That must have been a long time ago!  :shock:

Paul Marossy

Well, Doug, your "Crate" sounds great!
Mine kinda looks like the newer Crates...  :shock:

David

Quote from: Paul Marossy
QuoteBut you must remember that back then, amplifiers were powered by wood-fired generators!

Wow. That must have been a long time ago!  :shock:

Yeah, TV only had 13 channels and I had to trudge five miles through two feet of snow to get to school, too!

<Now if I could only get my daughter to believe the second part...>   :wink:  :roll:

jmusser

Thanks Peter for the Accutronics site. I checked it out, and I have the type 1 bottom shelf reverb with 2 springs. Which means, yes, I have spring reverb in theis amp, but it's their most inexpensive unit. It does make me wonder about how awesome their top of the line unit must be, if this one sounds this good. Maybe I'm just easily impressed. I guess there's nothing wrong with that though. I'll spend a lot less money that way!
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

Peter Snowberg

While the units vary in construction, I wouldn't be too quick to call one better than another. :D

If you want heavy surf maddness, a 6 spring tank with a long decay time might be exactly what you want (driven by a full spectrul signal). If you don't need that much reverb, the short tanks sound great and the difference between 2 and 3 springs might be exactly what you want. Finally you get into the decay time and what's available depends on the tank size.

My favorite so far is the combo of a 6 spring with long decay and a 3 spring with medium decay. :D ;)

Each of the springs in the triple spring setup is slightly different to get some variation. I do like the triple spring units over the double spring ones, but I love reverb.  :mrgreen:
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

vanhansen

QuoteYeah, TV only had 13 channels and I had to trudge five miles through two feet of snow to get to school, too!

Uphill......both ways!!!!  :D
Erik