Did I buy a boat anchor?

Started by David, September 16, 2004, 06:27:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David

Some of you may remember the $0.99 oscilloscope I "won" on e-Bay last month.  Doesn't look like I'll ever get it.  The dude lives in Orlando - with everything that implies...  Anyway, I picked up another yesterday.  Here's a link to it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3838815245&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOAB:US:6

I almost dread asking this:  did I buy a boat anchor?

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

If it works, fine!
But the probe is going to cost considerably more than $6, and you will need one unless you are just looking at very low impedances (like speaker outputs).

Ge_Whiz

Yep, it's a boat anchor. And if it works, a damn good oscilloscope too. If it produces a beam which can be waggled about, chances are it's okay.

I have used a 'scope with a homebrew 'probe' in the past, just a screened cable split to two croc clips. As the inputs are high impedance and usually good to a couple of hundred volts, it's pretty hard to damage them - just that some waveform distortion may occur. You'll need to get hold of one of those big old UHF plugs, though - big pin in the middle and loose threaded surround (although it has a separate ground terminal, and I've used a wire and a matchstick before now!).

David

Quote from: Ge_WhizYep, it's a boat anchor. And if it works, a damn good oscilloscope too. If it produces a beam which can be waggled about, chances are it's okay.

I have used a 'scope with a homebrew 'probe' in the past, just a screened cable split to two croc clips. As the inputs are high impedance and usually good to a couple of hundred volts, it's pretty hard to damage them - just that some waveform distortion may occur. You'll need to get hold of one of those big old UHF plugs, though - big pin in the middle and loose threaded surround (although it has a separate ground terminal, and I've used a wire and a matchstick before now!).

Ge_Whiz:

You scared the crap out of me!  Why did you say it was a boat anchor?  The size?

Per your question, I fortunately got a 100 MHZ probe in another auction.  The e-Bay blurb indicates that it displays traces.

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Ther eare adaptors avaiolable for pretty well all 'weird' sockets, at least the ones you can find on a scope. As for using a 'normal' cable as a probe wire, don't forget you'll be adding maybe a hundred picofarad to wherever you stick it!!
won't hurt the CRO, though.

Lonestarjohnny

hey David, I must a won a scope from the same guy, he's tryin to back out on our lil Ebay deal, make's you wonder what the world's comin to, we use to shoot Welcher's here in Texas, and that woulda been in the Back Probably,  :lol:
Johnny

Fret Wire

Quote from: Lonestarjohnnyhey David, I must a won a scope from the same guy, he's tryin to back out on our lil Ebay deal, make's you wonder what the world's comin to, we use to shoot Welcher's here in Texas, and that woulda been in the Back Probably,  :lol:
Johnny

Here's how they do it on HC:
http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=733057

We're civilized on this forum....but that's brutal fun that should be had with every lowlife scumbag who burns someone on a deal. :twisted:

David, sorry to hear about the first scope, and congrats on the second. :D
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

toneman

looks like a solidstate(SS) oscope.
looks like it's got triggered sweep.
looks like just the ticket 2 watchthemusic..
25bucks total(?)  not bad @ all.
pictures @ eleven???
t
  • SUPPORTER
TONE to the BONE says:  If youTHINK you got a GOOD deal:  you DID!

David

Quote from: tonemanlooks like a solidstate(SS) oscope.
looks like it's got triggered sweep.
looks like just the ticket 2 watchthemusic..
25bucks total(?)  not bad @ all.
pictures @ eleven???
t

Check the link in the first post, Tone...  Pictures right there.  Thanks for the vote of confidence!

David

Quote from: Lonestarjohnnyhey David, I must a won a scope from the same guy, he's tryin to back out on our lil Ebay deal, make's you wonder what the world's comin to, we use to shoot Welcher's here in Texas, and that woulda been in the Back Probably,  :lol:
Johnny

You know, I thought about a little "Texas Justice", but there's really no issue here.  I mean, the auction price was only a buck and I hadn't even paid the clown!  He never sent me his address! :lol:  :lol:

I should have checked his feedback before I bought, I guess.  <Sigh>

toneman

i meant pictures of the scope in action.
U know, seeingthemusic...
tone
  • SUPPORTER
TONE to the BONE says:  If youTHINK you got a GOOD deal:  you DID!

David

Quote from: tonemani meant pictures of the scope in action.
U know, seeingthemusic...
tone

Ah.

When I get it and have figured out how to do that, I'll be sure to pay a visit to the ol' Photobucket!