Is there a DIY version of this???

Started by audioguy, September 16, 2004, 10:50:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

audioguy

Q Zone Crybaby
Essentially its a Wah without the foot control.
I THINK I've read of one, but Im not sure where or when.

Thanks!

Audioguy

Thomas P.

You could just build a crybaby with an ordinary pot instead of a rocker pedal...
god said...
∇ ⋅ D = ρ
∇ x E = - ∂B/∂t
∇ ⋅ B = 0
∇ x H = ∂D/∂t + j
...and then there was light

audioguy

excelent point... I guess I should have thought about that

Arn C.

Tomboy,
  I tried this two times with a vox wah circuit and it didn't work.   Maybe something I did wrong, not sure , but it happened two times and I actually used the circuits in wah pedals and they worked in the pedals.  Go figure!
Audioguy,
   If it works, let me know please!  Thanks!   arn.conklin@ametek.com
Peace!
Arn C.

B Tremblay

B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

Mark Hammer

Another more flexible solution is this one:  http://www.geofex.com/FX_images/lofi.gif

This cute little troublemaker from RG Keen is intended to mimic a "telephone voice" or AM radio, but it can easily mimic a %^&*ed wah.

As the diagram shows, it has a 2-pole lowpass filter section, followed by a 2-pole highpass section.  Those two, in series, produce a bandpass filter.  As shown, the bandwidth is intended to be relatively wide but severely restricted in high end and low end (<300hz to just under 3khz) so that it sounds like a cheap small speaker.  

Of course, there is no requirement to be committed to those component values if you want a slightly different sound.  The two sections can also be variably tuned so that you can have narrower or wider bands created, in addition to moving the whole band upwards or downwards.

Replace the 5k6 resistors in the lowpass section with a dual-ganged 10k pot (each pot half in series with a 1k fixed resistor) and you should be able to roll off highs as low down as around 1.5khz.  Double the caps from .01 to .02uf and you cut that down by another octave (to 750hz).  As you reduce the pot resistance value from a max of 11k (10k pot + 1k fixed resistor) down to 1k, the rolloff point goes up in frequency to around 16khz (with C = .01uf) or 8khz (with C = .02uf).

Similarly, switch each of the 56k resistors in the highpass section to a 6.8k fixed resistor in series with one half of a 50k dual-ganged pot, double the cap value again, from .01uf to .02uf (.022uf, really), and you'll have a sweepable low end.

The noise section shown above, and the mixer section too, are not really needed in this application.  All you need is what is shown in the lower 3 boxes, plus the two resistors and cap on the output.

Stick the revised circuit (two dual-ganged pots as the controls) and a stompswitch in a box, and away you go.  Much more flexible than a lot of other devices, and doubles to perform a host of other functions as well.