Univibing an Ibanez soundtank PH5. It works.

Started by nooneknows, September 16, 2004, 05:24:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nooneknows

Hi,
I was toying around with a ph5 ibanez phaser, the one in the black plastic box, trying to get a univibe like tone.
Well, even if I didn't have the schematics I've found the caps to change and it works, although the sounds is only reminescent of the real one (of course). But this bug-like gizmo does its work.
These are the mods:

C15 - 1 nF   (it was .047 uF)
C17 - 10 nF   (it was .047 uF)
C19 - 470 pF   (it was .047 uF)
C19 - 4.7 nF    (it was .047 uF)

I had to tweak a bit the bias to obtain the right sound (there's a trimmer to slightly rotate between the jacks).

have fun, bye,

Marcello

jayp5150

I know no one can get Dano schems (and it's too complex for me to trace), but how similar do you think that this is to the Chicken Salad (vibrato)?  It already had a uni-vibe kinda' feel, but not as muct depth (or richness?).  It operates on 4 LDRs around an incandesant bulb.  It kind of sounds closer to a Roto vibe on the chorus side.

Any clues?  Leave it alone?

John G

Hi,
The Chicken Salad is a SMD(mostly) clone of the original CW LDRs and lamp. The cap values are a bit different than those posted above.
John G

bobbletrox

I've got an old Soundtank Autowah lying around somewhere...I wonder what can be done to that?  It has two opamps and a photocoupler dealie if I remember correctly.

Mark Hammer

It's a different beast, though there is much that can be done to it.

nooneknows

Hi,
I just started messing around with the PH5 because I've noticed four fet coloured in red inside, so I thought it was a four stage phaser :-) I don't know about other pedals
bye!
M.

jayp5150

Quote from: John GHi,
The Chicken Salad is a SMD(mostly) clone of the original CW LDRs and lamp. The cap values are a bit different than those posted above.
John G

Sorry, I'm pretty new here.  I just figured out what the heck BMP is, can you tell me what SMD and CW stand for?  My bad.

LinuxMan

Quote from: jayp5150
Quote from: John GHi,
John G

Sorry, I'm pretty new here.  I just figured out what the heck BMP is, can you tell me what SMD and CW stand for?  My bad.
Erm,

SMDs (Surface Mount Device) are really small components, like the ones you
see on your graphic card or in computers. They don't have leads (don't need
no holes) and are really, really small.

Hope that helps
LM

Dan N

This thread went into how to make a chicken salad into a normal phaser:

http://diystompboxes.com/sboxforum/viewtopic.php?t=23701

I love the old sound tanks and tiny Dano effects.

John G

Hi,
CW= "Complete with" I was just being lazy. Sorry
John G