need help identifying some parts??????????????

Started by marrstians, September 17, 2004, 02:21:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marrstians

what are these????? the little glass things?

[list=]

[list=][/list]

niftydog

glass thingys are potentially neons or even spark gaps. What's the circuit?

the other thingy, no idea, hard to tell from just one angle. It's made by these guys though! Possibly a DC-DC convertor...

Sorry to say that it's the end of the day for me so that's as much help as I can give you for a few days! Sorry! I had a guess!
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!
“It also sounded something like the movement of furniture, which He
hadn't even created yet, and He was not so pleased.” God (aka Tony Levin)

Stuart

Mark F

I concur with Stuart. they are polystyrene caps.

Peter Snowberg

I'll triple the concurance. :)

Those caps are about as good as it gets without getting into aerospace quality caps. :D Their only downside is that they typically have very small diameter leads which can be fragile. A blop of silicone sealer gets around that. Polystyrene also doesn't like heat so they're usually not used in tube amps.

I was going to guess DC-DC for the second pic, but a quick scan of the OEP web site makes it look more like it's an encapsulated audio transformer. :D

http://www.oep.co.uk/audio_transformers/miniature_encapsulated_input.html
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

mikeb

Is that the Lovetone ring modulator you got there?  :P  :wink:

Mike

marrstians

Peter Snowberg

You can pull an almost identical transformer with possibly limited bandwidth just by desoldering one from an old modem. It's just a 600 ohm 1:1 isolation transformer. :D

Lonestarjohnny

Wobulator ?
would I love that Pedal  til Death do us Part !
Johnny

marrstians

polystyrene caps? is that just a different material for a normal cap, like tant or film? what would be the benefit of using one of these?

mikeb

Yeah, I thought I recognised the caps from Lovetones I've worked on in the past - the dopps I've seen use those x-wing stompswitches (shudder)...

Mike

Peter Snowberg

There are many different "films" used:

Polyester - cheap films like "greenies" (I love 'em!)
Polyethylene terephthalate - better cheap caps like MKT series
Polypropylene - very low dielectric losses and good temperature stability - good for high current
Polycarbonate - super high temperature stability & low loss at high frequency
Polystyrene - high tempearature stability & low tolerance spread - high ESL (like greenies!)
Polytetrafluoroethylene - a.k.a. Teflon - super temp capability - Aerospace/medical grade
Polywantacracker - ;)