Tour The Fender Mexico Factory

Started by Torchy, September 17, 2004, 12:01:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Torchy

EdJ

Wow,that is a clean factory!
I have visited luthiers who work on their own in a much dirtier enviroment.
Although it seems a drag to work with a dustmask all day it of course is a wise thing to do.

Paul Marossy

That was very interesting. Thanks for sharing that with us.  8)

vanhansen

Very cool.  I've always believed the MIM's where good guitars.  Thanks for sharing that with us.
Erik

jimbob

Thanks! I wanna buy a mex strat now!
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

travissk

Quote from: jimbobThanks! I wanna buy a mex strat now!

Yes, yes you do  8)

I play my MIM Strat the most; just make sure you can play a few and pick the one that's best for you, because they tend to vary quite a bit. I was lucky enough to stumble onto an incredible one. My only gripe is that it only has 21 frets.

Mark F

Wow, cool tour. I've got a newfound respect for MIM Strats!

Peter Snowberg

VERY cool! 8) Thanks for posting it Torchy! 8)

That's a great looking factory floor!

A few years ago a friend went to buy a Strat for his son. He played over 50 of them including American, Japanese, and Mexican units and one of the Mexican guitars really stood out for it's tone. What a sweet guitar that thing is! :D
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

Torchy

Ta ... I was looking for background while trying to decide between a MIM strat and a second hand Jap VR strat. The MIM was actually cheaper but played way better  :?:
Now I know why  :lol:

BTW - any one else like the "Splatocaster"  8)

Paul Marossy

I have a Japanese made Strat from the mid 90's. Workmanship is top notch and it has a lot of different tones, too. Haven't really played any MIM Fenders...

vanhansen

I've played several MIM strats when I worked in a music shop (not GC) and really liked them.  Our Fender rep told me that they were basically vintage spec strats before the American Standard came out.  I own an American Standard (1994 model) and love it.  Of course I moded it with a Little '59er in the bridge (coil tap switch added) and a Custom Flat (SSL-6) in the bridge.  I left the middle pickup stock.  Plays and sounds great.

If I was to get another strat, I would look at a Mexi model and throw some Texas Specials in it.
Erik

jmusser

I played several Strats before I got my Mexican Strat. The American made, and the Mexican made. When I made my decision, it was based souly on tone and playability, and not sticker price. This store had all the prices on the back of the head stock, and when I made my choice, I turned it over, and it was the Mexican Strat! I guess it's what ever winds your watch really. Do you buy a Harley because it say "Harley" or a Honda that is shaft drive, more dependable, not as loud, and an all around smoother ride, that is a third the cost of a Harley? I personally have never cared if it said "Ed's Plank" on the head stock, as long as it performs.
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

phillip

Bah...they skipped the Telecaster!  I find the Tele a much better fit ;)

Phillip

Torchy

Quote from: phillipBah...they skipped the Telecaster!  I find the Tele a much better fit ;)

Phillip

http://www.allthingsstrat.com/2004%20reviews/Fender%20Tour/guitarfinal.html

Check out the Johnny Hallyday guitar - looks like a Tele to me  :wink:

strungout

yup yup, interesting, thnx for the share!
"Displaying my ignorance for the whole world to teach".

"Taste can be acquired, like knowledge. What you find bitter, or can't understand, now, you might appreciate later. If you keep trying".

b_rogers

in 91-92 i worked at a florida music store that carried all the good lines...Fender,Ibanez,Martin,Marshall,Peavey,Gibson...etc.
the fender rep was showing my boss the sample of the MIM strat and he handed me the black/rosewood strat and asked my opinion of it..
after i had done the obligatory 3 minute SRV wank  i told him i thought the pu's sucked but otherwise it was a nice guitar. he said hang on...
came back in the store with another identical looking strat and said try this one..it had a dimarzio stacked bucker in the bridge, and played like BUTTER. it has a thin neck kinda like a ibanez but not that extreme. i tried to buy it on the spot..he said he couldnt sell it until he had showed it around some more, but when he came for our order for x-mas he would bring it back for me..dealer cost plus 10 percent. they were retailing for 399.00 back then so i got the guitar for $165!!!! (most music stores get 50%+10%off retail as dealer price, at least in the 90's..)

best playing guitar i have ever even touched..

i seem to remeber him saying that they were assembled in mexico out of usa body blems and farmed out parts in the beginning until the factory was 100% operational.

no other mexi strat feels the same as this one...i love it. she is in jail right now.sniff. :cry:      i miss her.
:cry:
homegrown, family raised couch potatoes. temperament unsurpassed.
http://electricladystaffs.com/

nofretsplz

Dang, that place is clean! I just got a '95 MIM Tele special, and it sounds amazing. :mrgreen:

James

casey

i bought a mexican tele a while back....i love it.
one of the most roundest and even sounding guitars ive ever played.
quality is top knotch too.
Casey Campbell