Got my piggyback fuzz face working, and a question

Started by the_badcliff, September 17, 2004, 02:46:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the_badcliff

I just rebuilt a silicon fuzz face that had been my 2nd build because I didn't like the sound of it too much, basing it on the Miss Piggy V3 schem.  Got it working last night, and am very pleased.  I run my Beginner NPN Boost into it and get thick, heavy fuzz, without it feeding back nearly as much as the original silicon version (which would feed back even at low volumes unless I backed off on my guitar volume quite a bit).

I used an 8k2 resistor between the emitters on Q1, and an 18k on Q2.  I just guessed at these values, but they do alright.  Interestingly enough, to set the bias on Q2 I had to drop the collector resistor all the way down to 620 ohms.

Anyway, I didn't include the 47uf cap from V+ to ground.  Will this filter out noise?  I'm using a 9V battery by the way, not a wall wart or adapter.

petemoore

Quote from: the_badcliffI just rebuilt a silicon fuzz face that had been my 2nd build because I didn't like the sound of it too much, basing it on the Miss Piggy V3 schem.  Got it working last night, and am very pleased.  I run my Beginner NPN Boost into it and get thick, heavy fuzz, without it feeding back nearly as much as the original silicon version (which would feed back even at low volumes unless I backed off on my guitar volume quite a bit).
>>>cool

I used an 8k2 resistor between the emitters on Q1, and an 18k on Q2.  I just guessed at these values, but they do alright.  Interestingly enough, to set the bias on Q2 I had to drop the collector resistor all the way down to 620 ohms.
 >>>this value resistor is off by enough to consider further debugging
Anyway, I didn't include the 47uf cap from V+ to ground.  Will this filter out noise?  I'm using a 9V battery by the way, not a wall wart or adapter.
>>>clip a 47uf to the battery clip [watch the polarity], I dont notice much noise without it, perhaps I try this too.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.