Whats a good effect? Looking for other effect ideas.

Started by crazybuilder, September 18, 2004, 12:26:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazybuilder

Ok guys, I have built all the distortion i need to have fun with. What I need now are a couple of "fun" effects. I need a delay and I dont know what else. Can anyone help me with a good delay schem. and any others effects that would do good, other that distortion? I have a schemo for the rebot delay, but has anyone heard that? I just need pedal ideas! So bring um on!

Thanks,
Jason

I have build a cool fuzz pedal and a TS-808, so for what I play I am set for distortion.

markr04

I recently built Tonepad's MXR envelope follower. I love it. However, it's prolly too complex for perfboard. Are you making PCBs yet?

Mark
Pardon my poor English. I'm American.

crazybuilder

Yah, I have made two and am very confident in my abilities.

What about delay?

Hal

i know its not delay, but i made an easyvibe and love it :-D

Delays are expensive to do analog, and no one likes digital.  So....we dont hear too much about them lol

There are a couple of projects out there, but i haven't built any yet.

markr04

I haven't seen any other than the one you mentioned: rebot delay. Personally, I'll leave that to digital - I have a Korg thing that they sent me to play around with. Except someone a while back was going on about a very tasty reverb/delay using some Alesis chips. That's one I'll build if/when it comes about!
Pardon my poor English. I'm American.

nofretsplz

You're halfway to having your own "guitar synth"!

I have an EA Tremolo in line after a Great Cheddar. When the GC is in Cheese mode, I set the trem's depth to 100% so the silence hides the fact that I'm actually picking notes. Sounds just like an old school Atari game!!

I'm in a surf band, and the guitarist raves on the EA tremolo...very natural sounding!

Have fun,
James

jimbob

Ive thought about building the great Cheddar but havnt decided for sure.  nofretsplz--whats so great about it? Ive built soooooo many distortions so far. Is it really any different from the rest? I hope so! BTW- Joe davissons disrtortions Rock!! So Do Runoffgrooves! (there's really give a nice feel, warm tone without all the misc Bs such as name recognition and popularity ect.. ROG should be millionares!

Anyway, The Tonepad rebote II is very cool and worth the build if you dont dig the price Boss charges. (im a big DD-3 fan)

The Ea Tremolo is awsome! Esp compared to the million commercial and Diy ive owned/bought /built. Go to ROG for that one or the GGG site. I forgot; GGG site Rocks as well!! There layouts and boards got me started. Now im an addict. Thanks GGG. :lol:  Maybe concentrate on understanding the WAH and building a better more improved version, or build an existing one from the GGG site(he has the monster wah there with 2 inductors ect..). Phillips site (very cool!) or Stewart Castledines site. ( who id say is on top the list with the exception of Teese RMC wahs...Bla BLa Bla...

thats all i got good luck!

jimbob
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

Travis

The Rebote II is great.  The PT-80 also sounds excellent.  The PT-80 uses companding, and has a bit little less noise in the end signal.

I use the Rebote for straight delay, and tweaked out my PT-80 for extended delay times (c. three seconds of very grainy delay with a 300k pot, as I recall), and wet/dry stereo.  I also dropped an LDR after the delay time pot, and use an LFO and envelope detector to manipulate it.

Factoring in build complexity, parts, etc., I'd build the Rebote before the PT-80.  You will not be disappointed with either design.

http://www.tonepad.com/getFile.asp?id=50

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=48&Itemid=80

crazybuilder

OK im likin the sound clips of the easyvibe! Where can i find a schemo and parts list?

Hal

www.geofex.com

its there, somewhere....maybe google can help you.

There's some more info about it on John Hollis's web site.

use google for that too :-D

Torchy

Someone on here has already done it, but why not combine two pedals into one. Great learning curve as well. The one Ive seen used a tremolo in "hard chop" mode to "stutter" an auto-wah/phozer. Think simple version of a SeekWah. Im and Easyvibeaholic, and I have two Ive modded to death - try the MXR EF chopping a couple of Easyvibes ... surreal  :wink:

nofretsplz

Jimbob, the Great Cheddar is just a really versatile distortion. It has a rotary switch that toggles between 4 different tone stacks, basically. Anyway, it can go from just a little dirt to mid-scoop distortion to Big Muff to some Tonebender sounds. Just 3 knobs and the rotary switch. Check out Lovetone.com for the Big Cheese. A great "desert island" fuzz.

James

BTW, "Jimbob" was my nickname at an engineering firm I worked at

nofretsplz

For the EA tremolo-synth idea, I think just about any distortion that yields a good healthy fuzz works great. My Vox Valvetone isn't as good as a freaked out Rat, for instance.

James