Dumb n00b would like to know...

Started by markr04, September 18, 2004, 12:32:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markr04

... what that distortion it is that the jazz folks use. Is that a fuzz pedal? Can you make any suggestions as to which to build to get that sound? I don't mind building two or three if need be, so please don't hesistate to offer your suggestions.

Thanks so much!
Mark
Pardon my poor English. I'm American.

Hal

i think most jazz distortion is true tubes being driven.  Most have very heavy mids and lows, and the lows buzz.   Its ususally very subtle, if i know what you're talking about.  I really have never been able to emulate this.  

Build the ax-84 P1 :-D  That should do it if what i read about it is right...

markr04

Thanks Hal. Here's an .mp3 of the sound, so as not to confuse anyone. This is from an unreleased Jazz loops project.

http://home.comcast.net/~markr04/music/guitar.mp3

RDV

To me that's clean. That's a big box jazz guitar on the front pickup with the tone rolled off into a Fender twin or something. That's not distortion, that's WARMTH. You want that sound, get an L-5.

RDV

markr04

Eh... what is an L-5? Please pardon my ignorance.

jimbob

Im guessing you need the right amp not effect for that. MIght have to break down aNd spend the cash. My favorite distortion is stock w my Peavey XXX. But the other effects i use for more subtle sounds that sound great are from Runoffgrooves.com site such as the "18" or  "BSIAB II". The BSIAB II" Is awsome! Btw.
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

markr04

Hmmm... RDV... I went to your site and listened to your band's song "Nobody cares for you...". The rhythm guitar, playing the chords in the beginning. That's the sound I'm after. Is that strictly an amp thing? Can't be done with a pedal?

Nice song, btw.

RDV

Quote from: markr04Hmmm... RDV... I went to your site and listened to your band's song "Nobody cares for you...". The rhythm guitar, playing the chords in the beginning. That's the sound I'm after. Is that strictly an amp thing? Can't be done with a pedal? Nice song, btw.
Thanks! I think you mean the song "Like I Do"? That's just my strat though the Marshall clean channel with no effects at all except whatever was added in the mix. Everybody at the studio said my amp recorded really well. There's also a Les Paul Jr. Special with P-90s through a Pod doing the double-stops at the beginning. If that's the sound you liked, a pod will do that, but the big meaty rythym stuff is the JCM900. There's also a Takamine acoustic on there as well.

I meant a Gibson L-5 jazz guitar in the earlier post.

RDV