2 effects, 1 enclosure, and 1 power addapter = noise

Started by marrstians, September 18, 2004, 02:05:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marrstians

i built a fuzz and a distortion into one case for convience sake... they share the same power supply... when a battery is plugged in they both work fine but when i plug in a power addapter the distortion buzzes bad... the fuzz doesn't and i'm not sure why this would be.... any help?

RDV

What type of adapter? Regulated? Or unregulated?

RDV

marrstians

i'm not sure... it's one of the generic ones from walmart but it has never made any effect hum like this before... it's as loud as the guitar signal not a little hum...

RDV

If you have no hum without it, and hum with it, it means that one of your circuits does not like your unregulated, poorly filtered PS. My suggestion would be either build a regulator around a LM317T(see datasheet) to add to your wall-mart wart, or get a Boss PSA-120 from your local music store,....or just use batteries.

RDV

Samuel

Yeah I wouldn't trust a Walmart WalWart ( :) ) for anything - even the beefier ones at Radio Shack aren't too bad. I use their 800mA (which is bulky but gets the job done) and it's reasonably clean. Don't be tempted by the little tiny ones they sell - noisy like you wouldn't believe.

bwanasonic

The Visual Sound 1SPOT is reasonably priced and quiet.

Kerry M

Athin

big caps and a lm317 always do the trick :) it the trannie is in the same box as the distortions - then that's your culprit, if not - well... big caps and regulator
DIY XOR die.