JSLEEP and Others : Where to buy velcro sheet?

Started by Michael Allen, September 18, 2004, 02:41:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Allen

I need some for my pedalboard and on your site you've used a sheet(?) of velcro for yours? Where do you find this stuff? All I can find are rolls of it....

Alex C

I'll bump this, I'm looking for a sheet of this too.

Alex

The Tone God

I buy my stuff at a fabric store. 3M brand, 2.5 inch wide., sticky backed, just about any length you want. Should be wide enough to cover the bottom of the average pedal if not enough to cover enough to have a good grip.

Andrew

NaBo

yeah, my mom buys that stuff... im gonna snake some from her sewing basket before i go back to school  :twisted:

aron

Hardware stores will carry the Velcro brand. It's about $30 for a box of a LOT of heavy duty velcro.

The local electronics store carried the 3M stuff. HEAVY DUTY KILLER and great, but expensive and not as wide as the Velcro stuff.

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

I'm boycotting 3M since they heavied the 3MS pedal collective into changing their name to 4MS! (you couldn't make this up..)

MartyMart

Quote from: Paul Perry (Frostwave)I'm boycotting 3M since they heavied the 3MS pedal collective into changing their name to 4MS! (you couldn't make this up..)

You are kidding . . . . right ?? !! :roll:

I get mine on a 2.5 inch roll from a "sewing" outlet, its just a few bucks for 5 yds ( meters ) of it !!  and its VERY sticky stuff.
Good for ruining your vintage pedals !   :wink:

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Samuel

Gilles C

No, he's not kidding. I remember the thread...

At work, we use a commercial grade Velcro which is stronger than the normal stufff we can buy.

I'll check what brand it is. It  is large enough, 3/4" I think, minimum. Very strong.

vfr800fiman

I buy mine from McMaster-Carr.
http://www.mcmaster.com
They have everything you could want, and I mean everything!
What is the difference between mechanical engineers and civil
Engineers? Mechanical engineers build weapons and civil engineers
Build targets.

G Kresge

I get mine from Home Depot. There's a packet of two sets in "Heavy Duty Strength" for about 3 bucks. They are already cut to the perfect size for most stompboxes (Boss, Ibanez, MXR, etc).

RDV

The bicycle chain link method works better and doesn't ruin your paint job.

Just a little op-ed piece.

RDV

1wahfreak

QuoteI'm boycotting 3M since they heavied the 3MS pedal collective into changing their name to 4MS! (you couldn't make this up..)

Yes it's true. I work for 3M and they are real sticklers when it comes to trademarks, copyrights, patents, product branding and IP. I'm surrpised they let anybody use "3" and "M" in the same paragraph. They don't want any blurred lines between 3M and another possible competitor. They have so many products that the only way to keep people from copying ideas is to vigorously prosecute. More money for the corperate lawyers. :roll:
I'd better shut up, they're probably watching me type.....

troubledtom

Quote from: Paul Perry (Frostwave)I'm boycotting 3M since they heavied the 3MS pedal collective into changing their name to 4MS! (you couldn't make this up..)

funny, me too, paul :!:
   peace,
       - tom

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

On the subject of 3MS/4MS, I have always admired their collective approach & positive attitude, but what REALLY caused me to take notice was the way they didn't get embroiled in a bitter & energy-wasting battle with the 3M assholes, just laughed & switched to 4MS and got on with life. An inspiration, at least to me.
We have a radio station here called 3MMM, but they have lawyers, so it's still called that.
Incidentally, all the legal weight was on 3MS side AFAIK, but 'right' is nothing compared to 'might'.

Alex C

I have gotten the Velcro® packs at Home Depot, and I have attached this (the "hook" part) to the backs of almost all my pedals.  However, I'd like to cover the surface of my pedalboard with a sheet of the "loop" stuff, because I want to be able to easily re-arrange the order of pedals on the board (with these packs, I have to put the square of loop stuff right where I want each pedal to be, and I can't easily move them about).

I've tried the chain link method, but it was a pain to unscrew things all the time.  I suppose that would be a good method if I had a more permanent setup, but I'm always messing with things.  

They really do have everything here: http://www.mcmaster.com
I found a sheet of 50" wide "loop" for $7.35(US) per foot.  I think I might try this.  Thanks for the link.

Alex
Velcro® is a registered trademark of 3M Corporation (just to be safe :) )