DIY tape echo thingie..

Started by thomas2, September 18, 2004, 08:34:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thomas2

OK! i've already built the mechanical part. now i gotta figure out how to make the record head record the input signal to tape and how to amplify the signal from playback heads.. any suggestions where i could maybe find such information? thanks.
tee se itse tai kuole

Ansil

question???  why hnot canibalize a real tape recorder. its so easy. or did you just want the experience.

personally if you want a good taper saturation. get a little walkman that has a tape player and rip out its amplifier section you can;t beat the simpliicity and the loudness of it.

it has like a transistor or jfet preamp you just cut off the playback head and solder new wires there and from the preamp you go into its lm386 [type chip] and it pumps out your signal

thomas2

yeah.. i'm doing this just for fun. i've already got the record and playback heads + motor from some old tape recorders that were broken. i was thinking of making some sort of 386 based amp to it (386 is my favourite chip anyway).. i just don't understand how the recording works.. do i just feed the input signal amplified to the record head?  :lol:
tee se itse tai kuole

thomas2

tee se itse tai kuole

thomas2

i'm pretty sure someone knows how the recording head works! that's the only thing i don't get..
tee se itse tai kuole

petemoore

Well it probably has impedance.
 Matching this equation would probably be easier if the impedance part was known?
  Sorry Thomas Im obviously [I hope[ just guessing.
 The technology for this is so automated [I guess again] that there's little DIY going on around?
 IIUC the head is a precise electromagnet [?] and electro waves are exposed to the magnetic tape leaving a magnetic wave pattern on it...
 try to Look up tape head replacement data sheets?
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Ansil

you could always look how they did it in the past and go from there.  i didnt' want to look too much into it thats why i just used a already built unit.  [keep in mind that i did do a lot of searching for a particular tape recorder as i had had one when i was a child that i kept till i was an adult and did all sorts of recording with it and loved the tape saturation that it gave.]

Johnny Guitar

You probably already know this but all tape recorders have a bias oscillator which is mixed in with the signal to the record head. I want to say this is around 40-50kHz but I don't remember at all. You need that bias osc to get a good quality signal on the tape. You may also need to filter it out (or otherwise demodulate it) from the recorded tape.

I have a buch of old reel to reels, cassette decks, and Walkman tape players/recorders which I've thought about canibalizing. I wouldn't really know how to start and it seems like a lot of work.

J

thomas2

yeah.. i've heard about that. sounds diffcult/impossible to make with my skills.. and without any schematics. thanks anyway..
tee se itse tai kuole

Thomas P.

I found this thread rather intersting so I've searched on my own and found this:

echoplex2
echoplex3a
echoplex3b

All schematics are from http://www.schematicheaven.com

And here's a guy who build one from this schematics (the site is in german, maybe you could google the url and translate it):
http://www.jogis-roehrenbude.de/Leserbriefe/Lorenz-Bandecho/Bandecho.htm

I hope this will help you...
god said...
∇ ⋅ D = ρ
∇ x E = - ∂B/∂t
∇ ⋅ B = 0
∇ x H = ∂D/∂t + j
...and then there was light

thomas2

thanks, but i don't wanna start messing around with tubes and high voltages.. only the simplest solid state one will do.. i have schematics for one other (much simpler) tube tape echo from some old 60's finnish magazine, but i'd like it solid state.
tee se itse tai kuole

Johnny Guitar

I've actually been thinking about this for a couple of days now and thought up a couple of other points:

1) you can avoid (I think) the problem I mentioned involving the bias oscillator merely by taking *all* the electronics with the play head from one tape deck and transplanting all of it onto the deck with the erase and record head and electronics.

2) If I were to do this I'd look at using old 8 Track players since they use a continuous loop in a self contained cartridge. They also use 1/4" tape. If some small manufacturer were smart (???) enough to try and introduce a replacement for the Echoplex or Space Echo, I think they would well suited by using 8 Track tape technology and outfiting the record and play electronics with either full track mono or two track (half track) stereo heads. But you could already put a standard 1/4 trck electronics into an 8 track transport. It would sound as good as a 1/4" stero tape deck (good!) and would not be *that hard* to do.

J

LinuxMan

Quote from: Johnny Guitar
2) If I were to do this I'd look at using old 8 Track players since they use a continuous loop in a self contained cartridge. They also use 1/4" tape. If some small manufacturer were smart (???) enough to try and introduce a replacement for the Echoplex or Space Echo, I think they would well suited by using 8 Track tape technology and outfiting the record and play electronics with either full track mono or two track (half track) stereo heads. But you could already put a standard 1/4 trck electronics into an 8 track transport. It would sound as good as a 1/4" stero tape deck (good!) and would not be *that hard* to do.
Heh, you can have an Echoplex replacement right here. If you have 999$
that is. ;) He does his own tapes and there's even a video showing how.

Cheers
LM

Johnny Guitar

Quote from: LinuxMan
Heh, you can have an Echoplex replacement right here. If you have 999$
that is. ;) He does his own tapes and there's even a video showing how.

Cheers
LM

Yep!

A *bit* more than I'd want to pay but I'm sure it's a great machine.

Next idea: find those old cassette loops for the older style phone machines!

J