AutoCAD Stompbox Template Now Available at DIYguitarist.com

Started by Paul Marossy, September 18, 2004, 02:22:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Marossy

A lot of people have been writing to me about this, so I decided to make it available to everyone. I saved it as an R.12 drawing. I have templaes for the Hammond 1590B, 1590BB and the boxes that are sold at www.hoffmanamps.com as well as blocks for caps, resistors, IC chips, etc. Follow this link to get the .dwg file: http://www.diyguitarist.com/DIYStompboxes/StompboxTemplate.dwg

This link can be found at the bottom of this page: http://www.diyguitarist.com/DIYStompboxes/StompboxTips.htm

Hope this helps all you AutoCAD users out there. I helps me, too,  because I haven't really standardized all this stuff...

Hal

Awesome!

I got a chance to play around with auto-cad when my sister was home this summer - she's an architecture student.  

Maybe i'll do a layout with it next time she's around.  In the past i've just eyeballed everything :-D

Paul Marossy

Glad you can use it Hal.  8)

If you like to do your own PCB designs, AutoCAD can do it all. You can design a PCB, component layouts, figure out how stuff is going to fit in an enclosure, create graphics, etc. You just have to think about things in terms of 3D, meaning that when you are drawing a 2D plan view of something, you have to think about things like if your PCB will fit over the pots and still allow room to get the bottom of the enclosure on. I use the program because I am most familiar with it since I use it daily at work. You can't get some of the cool graphics that you can with other programs, but it works for my purposes. Anyhow, having those Hammond boxes in CAD really can be a help in laying out stuff.

Gilles C

Very useful with Turbocad also.

That's what I tried to use in place of Eagle. But I still have to learn how to use it correctly first...

Gilles

Paul Marossy

So, Turbocad will use AutoCAD .dwg files? That's cool.  8)
I could also save it as a .dxf file, too, but I don't know if that would be necessary. AutoCAD seems to be pretty the CAD program these days...

Arno van der Heijden

Quote from: Paul MarossyAutoCAD seems to be pretty the CAD program these days...

What about Unigraphics....?

Gilles C

Quote from: Paul MarossySo, Turbocad will use AutoCAD .dwg files? That's cool.  8)
I could also save it as a .dxf file, too, but I don't know if that would be necessary. AutoCAD seems to be pretty the CAD program these days...

Well, another way of saying it would be that AutoCAD files format is the standard format these days...  :)

(Well, not completely true because DXF is the standard file format to eXchange the files between different programsfrom different companies.

But there are now smaller and specially cheaper programs that do the same thing.

At work, people use AutoCAD. But people who have to pay to use a program at home use something else like TurboCAD, or another cheaper or free program.

Just like JPG files that are the standard file format, but used by more programs than ever. But PNG is beginning to be more popular everyday.

Gilles

Paul Marossy

Arno-

I have never heard of Unigraphics... maybe it is popular in your part of the globe?

Gilles-

I have a copy of AutoCAD LT 97 & 2000 that I obtained at no cost when my former place of employment bought the full version of AutoCAD 2004 for all their workstations. At $300-400 for a new AutoCAD LT program, I would still buy it, probably because I am most familiar with the program. I have tried out a few others in the last 15 years - Turbocad, Versacad, Lasercad, and maybe a couple of other - all at work. I think the full version of AutoCAD is going for over $3K a copy, and something less for each site license...

So anyway, what program makes a PNG file?

Gilles C

Quote from: Paul MarossyArno-
Gilles-

I have a copy of AutoCAD LT 97 & 2000 that I obtained at no cost when my former place of employment bought the full version of AutoCAD 2004 for all their workstations. At $300-400 for a new AutoCAD LT program, I would still buy it, probably because I am most familiar with the program. I have tried out a few others in the last 15 years - Turbocad, Versacad, Lasercad, and maybe a couple of other - all at work. I think the full version of AutoCAD is going for over $3K a copy, and something less for each site license...

So anyway, what program makes a PNG file?

I see.

The only people I know who use AutoCAD use a cracked version of it...

I prefer to use the legal version I have of TurboCAD.

As I said, it is also lighter than AutoCAD (I don't know about the LT version), and one more thing is that I don't already know how to use AutoCAD, so I find it better to learn how to use only one program.

About png. Here are a few of the programs that use them:

http://www.libpng.org/pub/png/pngaped.html

TurboCAD can save to a JPG... but not to a PNG file  :)

Btw, it's not to say AutoCAD is not good to use. It's just that it is a better choice for me right now.

Gilles

Arno van der Heijden

Quote from: Paul MarossyI have never heard of Unigraphics... maybe it is popular in your part of the globe?

Hmmm... that's odd. I'm currently taking a Master's degree in Mechanical Engineering and here at the university we exclusively work with Unigraphics (NX I think) for CAD/CAM. Only the department of architecture uses Autocad here.
I think Unigraphics even has it's headquarters in the US.

MartyMart

Thank you Paul, most appreciated !
My Girlfriend is a Technical Draughtswoman for a team of Architects and uses AutoCad, so the file will be V-welcome.
Regards,
Marty. :D
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Paul Marossy

beans_amps

Hey Paul (and others)

I have an Autocad drawing I use as a basis for all my schematic drawings.  It has blocks for tubes, transformers, diodes, transistors, etc.

Would anyone be interested in this drawing?  If so I'll try to clean it up and make it more friendly.

If anyone would like to host it, that would be fine with me.  I currently have no server space.

Sean Weatherford
Bean's Amp Repair
Central, SC
Don't Despair - Call Bean's Amp Repair

ocelot

I have just found out that Visio 2003 pro opens the drawings and its not a bad program if you can get your hands on it.

Paul Marossy

beans_amps-

Sure, I'll take a copy of it. You can email it to: psalmist@att.net

ocelot-

Yes, I believe that Visio and VoloView both allow you to look at AuotCAD drawings without actually having the program...

tmuka

thanks for the cool templates! for those who don't own autocad, i've discovered you can import the template file into google's "sketch up" program! sweet!  only thing is it looks like it loses the 3d... hmmm...

Blues_Boy_4096

Thanks Paul.

It'll be very useful...
I've already thought of doing something like this, but was always too lazy... :icon_redface:

I'm glad some people aren't.   ;D ;D ;D

JHS

Thanks Paul, that saves a lot of time. Maybe you can add a dxf-file too for importing into other CAD-systems.

JHS

Jay Doyle

Adobe Illustrator can open DFX and DWG files as well. Of course it is 2D.

Hammond has their enclosure drawings available for download in DWG format along with the datasheets at their website.

Jay Doyle

britelite

Corel Draw is also useful for opening different formats. Also you can use Open Office(free) to save as pdf.

Paul I got my AutoCad Lite the same way you did. For free when my work updated. I have used AutoCad everyday at work since the early 90's. Great program.

Peace