When is it ethical to sell...

Started by markr04, September 18, 2004, 03:57:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markr04

...an extra stompbox? For example, I made a second stompbox that required a different enclosure. Desoldering and scavenging the parts is about a waste of time. So I have a very pretty painted Hammond box and working guts, etc. Does it remain unethical to sell off this single unit for a low price?

Please don't flame me. I'm asking this question because I don't wish to do anything unethical, infringe on others' designs, or otherwise hurt the DIY community.

Thanks!
Pardon my poor English. I'm American.

StephenGiles

Do what ever you like old chap - because someone, somewhere will get offended, either on his own account or on behalf of somebody else,  who probably hasn't contributed any circuits to this or any other forum at all. Just have fun.
Stephen
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

cd

Ask yourself what you can do that will allow you to sleep at night.  That's all.

StephenGiles

What will make Bush sleep at night? Kill a few Iraqis maybe, nuke Iran, Nuke North Korea perhaps? Maybe you should consider that before you worry about selling a few wires connected together!
Stephen
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

cd

Where the heck did that comment come from?  If there's anything this forum doesn't get, it's political.  I get your drift but this is not the place for that sort of thing.

markr04

Hmmm... well, I can't say I expected these replies.

Regarding what CD said about being able to sleep with what I choose to do: That's my reason for asking about this.

If I sell it on eBay, for example, and it turns out to be unethical, I would be rather ashamed of my action. It is in our best interest that the Tonelab, GGG, ROG, etc. folks continue to contribute these designs that we enjoy building. I don't want to discourage them by doing something that may be construed as profiting from thier hard work.

If I don't sell it, it's being unused/wasted. However, I could live with that a lot easier.

I'd still like to hear what others think. Thank you in advance for not flaming me.  :D

RDV

I sleep really good. REALLY good. Like a rock. Hooooo Boyy! Do I sleep good. Yawn!.........skkskkskks....ppphhhheeeewwww........what!...oh, I must have dozed off. Politics make me reeaalllyy sleeepy!

RDV

cd

Quote from: markr04Hmmm... well, I can't say I expected these replies.

Regarding what CD said about being able to sleep with what I choose to do: That's my reason for asking about this.

If I sell it on eBay, for example, and it turns out to be unethical, I would be rather ashamed of my action. It is in our best interest that the Tonelab, GGG, ROG, etc. folks continue to contribute these designs that we enjoy building. I don't want to discourage them by doing something that may be construed as profiting from thier hard work.

If I don't sell it, it's being unused/wasted. However, I could live with that a lot easier.

I'd still like to hear what others think. Thank you in advance for not flaming me.  :D

I think you answered your own question.  You can live with it being wasted but you'd be ashamed if you sold it and it turned out that wasn't OK.  Well, contact whoever made the board layout you used (which you were supposed to use for non-profit personal use) and see what they say.  If I made the layout, I wouldn't mind if you threw a few bucks (or a percentage of your sale) my way.  Then again, if I posted a layout on the web, I would expect it to be pirated left and right, even if I didn't want it to be, which is why I don't post layouts.

Like I said, ask yourself what you have to do to keep your conscience straight, that's all you can expect really.

RDV

Quote from: markr04Hmmm... well, I can't say I expected these replies.

This I can give a serious reply to. If you have used someones artwork to make the circuitboard in this pedal, it may be somewhat unethical to sell it, thus making a profit from their intellectual property. If you did your own layout based on a schematic you found on one of those sites, you are not being unethical(especially if it's a clone of a pre-ixisting commercial design). If you bought a PCB from GGG or Tonepad and built a pedal with it, you are now free to do with that pedal as you see fit as you have already paid those gentlemen their fair share of your profit. I, for one think it's admirable that you do care about ethics. It seems that so few in today's bad old world do. I salute you sir.

RDV

sir_modulus

Who's the layout from? If I were you and wanted to be as ethical as possible, I'd sell it off to a friend for only how much it cost, and maybe a small bit extra for work, or just sell it full shot on ebay, and throw a few bucks towards the layout site (as CD said).

StephenGiles

Look, for god's sake, DIY electronics is supposed to be fun. There are a lot of touchy people here today it seems to me. The only thing that stops me sleeping at night is caffeine.
Stephen

markr04

The PCB layout is one from Tonelab (etched myself). I'm the senior production engineer for a large sample library company and piracy, reselling of licenses on eBay, etc. are a very real problem. It's analogous to me, so I've decided not to sell the pedal. Maybe I will pass it as a Christmas gift to a friend. Although I'm the only one in my circle who owns a guitar, we're all synthheads and my friend's vintage Korg or Moog could go through it.

Thank you all for your input. I only want the best for the DIY community. I have nothing but respect for all of you.

Mark

petemoore

Quote from: StephenGilesWhat will make Bush sleep at night? Kill a few Iraqis maybe, nuke Iran, Nuke North Korea perhaps? Maybe you should consider that before you worry about selling a few wires connected together!
Stephen
Yes, this does make one want to WAKE UP !!!
 There's nothing more personal than your politics.
 Unfortunately politics isn't really OT for ANYthing these days [they're into Everything now]...but...
 If there's going to be any Bushwakkin' going ON, I'm the one to want to do it...[actually more like corporate agenda bashing]...so...MIND YOUR PLACE [?]...lol...better off in the OT lounge..we should be able to solve all the world's problems in there...or type till our fingernails turn blue...
Convention creates following, following creates convention.