True Tape Thru Zero F****ing - perfect?

Started by puretube, September 20, 2004, 05:08:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

puretube

gone info...

puretube

gone info...

zachary vex

Quote from: puretubeif both delay-lines were identical, you`d have absolute complete cancellation, or at least very heavy attenuation, of all frequencies
at the same time at delta-T =0.00ms.
Do we really want that? : absolute silence for a moment?

yes, i think you do want absolute silence for a very short moment.  that's how i recall the intense flange on the eagles' "life in the fast lane" which sounds incredibly exciting, as well as "listen to the music" by the doobies.  the combination of the high frequency thinned-out sound and a complete moment of silence seems to create the most mind-blowing effect... remember, it's not the whole mix you are usually working with... just a few elements like the vocals or guitars or something.

StephenGiles

..........and Itchy Coo Park by the Small Faces. I must ask Kenny Jones when we next see him about the phasing on that record.
Stephen
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

Vsat

Steve,
"Itchykoo Park" best tape flange tune ever IMHO! Should be a "All-Time Tape-Flanging Greats" compilation CD.....
Regards, Mike
BTW read Les Paul originated flanging... back around 1945... using out of sync disk-cutting machines (not tapes)... that was from a survey of audio processing techniques that Harald Bode wrote up.

StephenGiles

Mike - we are members of Kenny Jones's Polo Club. He'll be there next Sunday unless he's playing polo somewhere else, and he always likes chatting about the old days.
Stephen
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

puretube

gone info...

Vsat

Steve,
Incredible..... bring your reel:reel to the polo club.

puretube - yes, that's the Bode article

Regards, Mike

puretube

I`d be interested to know if they had to dub/fill in "something",
to get rid of too much cancellation-silence...

I`ll try to find the W... Carlos article on a similar subject (was it: "quadraphony" or s.th. ....?)

puretube

it`s a pity I don`t have a proper HiFi available currently
- the mp3 sources are very poor to analyze stuff like that -
(Itchycoo Park, Sky Pilot and Wasn`t Born to Follow just sound much more crappy than I remember from the records...)

but what I seemed to hear earlier today, was: additional to the originally played Fuzz and Phaser on "That Lady", there seems to be some reel-flanging mixed/added into the guitar-part afterwards...