gigging pedalboard

Started by Toney, September 21, 2004, 12:24:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toney

Who gigs with what?
I'd be really interested to know amongst the many DIY, exotic, experimental, rare, new and classic pedals people have built ........ what actually makes it to your regular gigging pedal board??????
What do you really use??
Do you stick with some of the tried and tested (modded?) name brands when it comes to the show??
Have your homebrews replaced them ???
I'll start the ball rolling.
I rock and I play pop.
Boss metalzone. There, I said it. It may be uncool, it may be beyond, but I am not ashamed to say I have used that sucker regularly for years. It has served me well and I find its eq totally usefull for drive in real life gigging situations.
Ibanez DL 10. Yes, A 10 series digital delay! What can I tell you ?
Proco rat. I likey.
TS 10 another 10! Have I no shame??
Crybaby.
Tell the truth I have no money, or very little. But what the hey.
Guyatone ADX analogue delay. Warm, sounds fab with singlecoils.
Does this make me an outcast here?
I saw some pictures of peoples pedalboards around the site and I was surprised to see so many name brand pedals sat along with the home brews.
I assumed you guys pretty much surpassed the manufacturers.
I really want to get building some new gear, but first I'd love to know what you guys actully take to the show......

RDV

Nothing wrong with any of that stuff you're using. At the moment, all my frontline is DIY, but I use a Digitech RP-12 in my effects loop. I'm using a wah with my own circuit in it, a BSIAB2, an English Channel, a Easyvibe, an EA Tremolo, and a dual mosfet booster. Of all the DIY effects I've built, I'm probably only able to use about 25% or so on my gigs.

RDV

petemoore

25% RDV...that's pretty good, I don't think my %age is that high.
 4x12'' Marshall cab w/ GB celestions.
 TUbe Amp...I decided to list these two items first...for gigs I'ts the MkII 50 Marshall for me..modded the 'spike in the forehead' high end on channel 1 out of it. Now instead of barking startingly...it growls...BIG difference.
 COmmercial OA stuff is fine I think, provided it's got a good opamp and does what you want it to do...[but ALL my Fuzzes ODs and boosters are DIY].
 Reverb is good to just buy I think. It's too expensive and complex, and I don't think DIYing has any real advantages...course if I'd built a DIY echo it would be better than any others...lol.
 So...in order of use//
 LP w/ humbuckers, or 3 SC strat type Washburn...
 A booster...Mini Booster, Micro Amp, Mosfet or Jfet booster...one at a time.
 Wah Wah...Vox 847...modded of course and BCxxx transistors.
 Then 2 different Fuzzes...Axis/FF... then TS or Dist+ or DS-1...some derivitave of feedback loop or diode to ground clipping with a Tone knob.
 SS phaze shifter or other phaze: 90/EZ Vibe. I like the SS because I have the speed control on a wah treadle...
 RV3 reverb echo...by default...sometimes an ART Proverb. A 'better' echo might be a good thing.  
 Having an Axis or FF...indespensible...that guitar vol gain rolloff is very useful. I can recommend DIY one of these... too ez and tooo tweeky not to. Really helps if you 'match' it to your guitar pickups and amp...tube amp that is...I never got much from FF's through SS amps...not to say it can't be done.
 COmmercial OA clippers with tone control...why not...if it's good it's good...but it's not that hard to make one, and use high end parts to do so...then you KNOW for sure...I've built tens of them...have had DS-1's [Boss]...actually I just replaced the OA with a 'split socket' arrangement [on a 10$ DS-1] so I can try different IC's: Improvement is noted.
 I guess the rule of thumb [according to compiled reports] is use digital for echo based effects [reverb/echo] when you can't spend big in that area, and everything else analog...this is the biased opinion of a non-digital type dude....you did say gig...
  I love tube amps. SS amps have thier sounds in them...[more of my biased opinion]...tube amps seem way more accomodating to slamming the inputs with all kinds of signals...up to three volts I hear on some models...when I try my pedals on SS amps they GAKK, make lots of noise, sound harsh etc...
 1rst thing for me is having speakers enough to load a tube amp...tends often to be last on the list of priority because it's expensive...I like new[er]...pots caps tubes wires jacks transformers...but not necessarily design...I like old design of amps [bassman, JTM45, MkII 50w, Twin, Deluxe etc.] in a new build.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Ge_Whiz

I try to travel light - if the Peppermill or EA tremolo (well, the "Surfsonic"), or even a single setting on the Digitech RP100 will cover it, so be it. But if I use the whole board, it's a Green Ringer, Phuncgnosis, silicon Fuzz Face, Peppermill, Digitech Hyper Phase, volume pedal, Digitech Reverb in that order. The Reverb is for amps that don't have reverb (although most of mine do), or for stereo operation, or occasional OTT effect.

Paul Marossy

Toney-

I love my Metal Zone, too. I can get some kick a$$ lead sounds with it!  :shock:

Here's what currently on my pedalbaord:

vintage CryBaby, DOD FX17 volume/wah pedal, BSIAB I, Shaka Tube, Metal Zone, Phase 45 clone, BOSS Super Chorus, BOSS DD-5 Digital Delay with DIY tap tempo box (much smaller than Boss' huge thing) and of course, a tuner. Two power supplies, one 9VDC for all of the above except for the Shaka Tube which has its own seperate 13VAC power supply. Both of these are wall warts.

BDuguay

It's easier for me to direct everyone to our bands website and check out the gear section. The comp. on my board was made by me. I have big plans to slim the whole thing up a little.
Check it out if you wish.
www.loomeronline.com

David

My pedalboard will start undergoing heavy reconstruction tonight.  It will have:

A 9VDC@1A filtered and regulated power supply - 4 outputs for now
A secondary 9VDC power supply for the overflow pedals I haven't built yet!

Boss BF-2 flanger
DOD Compressor/Sustainer
DOD 7-band Graphic EQ with Boost
DIY "Muffer" distortion with 2N5089 transistor (it works so well I haven't needed to upgrade it yet!)

Coming soon:

Bobtavia (hope I get a chance to use it!)
AMZ MOSFET Boost to replace the EQ
Flatline or Orange Squeezer to replace the compressor
Whisker Biscuit to replace the Muffer

Dreaming:

EasyVibe
Zombie Chorus with Hammer's detick and Badge mods
PT-80 or Rebote

vanhansen

Mine is pretty stripped down compared to everyone elses.

Crybaby wah (being modded)
Phase 90 (script mod)
BOSS Super Overdrive
BOSS Super Chorus

All of this feeds in to a Marshall JCM 900.

That's it.  Once I get my booster boxed up that will probably make it in there somewhere too.
Erik

Toney

Thanks guys.
I should have said tubes. I'm really only interested in tube tone myself .
....accept for my weird 35 wt ROLAND practise amp.
Single 12 . Never seen another like it . Sounds very clean in a jazz chorus kinda way. Maybe it shares the same circuit?
Anyway, despite loving tube tone, I keep it so I have a clean reference sound for testing out gear /setting up pickups etc.
So, my effects go into the front of either a JCM800 or FENDER silverface twin.
Very Falcon/Holden kinda setup. (US=Chevy/Chrysler?) :?:  :)

vseriesamps

Japanesr RI Strat with Bill Lawrence PUs

-new MXR Super Comp (to add smoothness and bring out detail)
-DIY Fuzz Face or Tripple Fuzz (my new favorite - Tim Escobedo, I make them all the time and give away the ones I don't use)
-TS9 with distortion knob all the way down, just for color mostly
-Guyatone Noise Reducer, gotta turn it off for the delicate stuff
-DanElectro Dan Echo, biggest bang for the buck