TS-5 (Don't Laugh) Mod

Started by bass_econo, September 22, 2004, 02:19:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bass_econo

I am a Noob.

I'm trying to do the 'brown mod' on my TS-5 tubescreamer and I can't find which resistors to change.  All of the things I've found on the net are for TS-7's etc.  I've already done the RC4558P mod (I have JRC4458P as well but I think the RC4558P sounds better to me, don't know why).  

Does anyone have any pics I can see or anything?  As luck would have it my MM doesn't seem to work at the moment so I can't just look for the 470 and 100.  

thanks

Joe Hart

Check the web for "resistor color codes" and just look fir them visually.  It should be a snap.
-Joe Hart

cd

bass_econo

Like I said I am a Noob.  I have that site saved but never thought to connect the 2 together to determine which ones.

Geez.... :evil:

Thanks for helping me though my idiocy... LOL  :lol:

fatoldsun

if you like the 808 mod try swapping all the resistors to carbon composite and the caps to higher quality electrlytics and poly film. the ts5 isn't a bad pedal at all. it's still a ts. they just skimped on the quality of parts and the case is a joke.

BD13UK

bass-econo if you drop me an email I'll send you a pictorial for the TS5 mod
Brian

TheBigMan

Change R34 to 100 ohms
Change R35 to 10 kohms

I also like the sound of changing one of the clipping diodes to a 1N4001 or similar.  This gives assymetrical clipping, but much more subtle than the Boss methods of 2 diodes one way and one the other.  Makes the tone smoother and more "liquid" to my ears.

Toney

These guys have it pretty well covered.
Seems to be a few divergent opinions regardind the carbon comps though.
Http://members01.chello.se/pastorn go doen to the DIY pedals
OR
//www.geocities.com/sunsetstrip/vine/6655/tubescreamer.htm

Fret Wire

Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

cd

Replace all the resistors with carbon comps?  Noise is great, isn't it?  Anyway, IMHO that would be a galactic waste of time - change a tube in your amp or your strings (not to mention tweak the volume or tone knob a tiny bit left or right) and any marginal difference is gone.  Not a fun thing to do unless you want practice desoldering and taking out 1/8W resistors.

Add to the fact that there is more switching circuitry than distortion circuitry.  Those carbon comps in the flip-flop latch circuit really tighten up the tone, man!!! They turn the pedal into true bypass!!!!

Toney

Fair go!
Coming in as a player with pedal making aspirations, I asked similar questions myself only a few weeks ago.
So many people are influenced by (insert name of famous pedal modder's) website and general hoodoo/voodoo regarding "Magic" tone and carbon comps.
Basically, mr bass_econo, it goes like this regarding cc's:
In vintage amp circuit - yes in places
In a pedal - aaaaaah,  no.

bass_econo

Well thanks everyone for the pics and all.  I plan on changing them out Friday morning.  I'll let you know what I think.  Oh and as I said above, I am a noob to modding so desoldering and soldering practice will help.  

Also I am not changing them just because somebody famous played them.  I can't name one guy who use this except for SRV (and I couldn't tell you one song he made - STOP THROWING THINGS AT ME!!!).  

I just like to tool around with stuff.

Anyway thanks to all.

Ben N

Nice mods page.  (Hey, it'd be nice if someone did something like that for the FZ5 >> BMP mods.)
  • SUPPORTER

Fret Wire

Quote from: Ben NNice mods page.  (Hey, it'd be nice if someone did something like that for the FZ5 >> BMP mods.)

All you have to do is take an existing pic of the board, then go to MS paint, and add the text and lines. I took the TS-9 pic from that site and added more mods to it. I have to take my own pic and do it again so I can post it. I'll slowly build up a collection of those "picture mods". People like them.
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

fatoldsun

Quote from: cdReplace all the resistors with carbon comps?  Noise is great, isn't it?  Anyway, IMHO that would be a galactic waste of time - change a tube in your amp or your strings (not to mention tweak the volume or tone knob a tiny bit left or right) and any marginal difference is gone.  Not a fun thing to do unless you want practice desoldering and taking out 1/8W resistors.

Add to the fact that there is more switching circuitry than distortion circuitry.  Those carbon comps in the flip-flop latch circuit really tighten up the tone, man!!! They turn the pedal into true bypass!!!!

:roll:

hey man, talk to anaolgman and keeley. it's their brown mod. it was a suggestion since the ts5 is the shitty screamer.

cd

Quote from: fatoldsun

:roll:

hey man, talk to anaolgman and keeley. it's their brown mod. it was a suggestion since the ts5 is the shitty screamer.

AM popularized the "brown" mod back in '95 or '96, and it only involves two resistors (the output resistors).  Sorry if I sounded harsh, but when I hear someone spout off the same marketing speak that has been debated/demythed a thousand times here (try a search) it raises my hackles.