555 Voltage Doubler

Started by D Wagner, September 23, 2004, 07:07:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D Wagner

Hey Pedalfiends,

I built this on my breadboard last night with great results.  (Time will tell if this will work in an effect though.) http://www.reconnsworld.com/power_voltdoubler.html

I get a solid 5.50v from 3.12v, and a weak 9v (8.86v) puts out a whopping 17.56v!  I used 1N4001 diodes, and the capacitors that I had on hand.  I subbed 100uf for the 220uf, and a 220uf for the 470uf.  I also used a CMOS555 to allow me to use the 3v supply.  (I am building a white LED driver.)

I hope someone else finds this useful.

Derek

Marcos - Munky

Cool, thanks a lot for the circuit.

Samuel

Look like an interesting way to produce +9/-9 and signal ground....

petemoore

Looks simple enough to try out!!!  Excellent!!!
 I have a Wah and other stuff to be in the works that could use something like this...
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

DDD

It seems that noise and recombination products are possible in the sound due to high-frequency pulse currents in the voltage converter. These products are hard to find hence they are "dangerous" enough.
Feeding LEDs - OK, feeding hi-gain stompbox - please think twice...
Too old to rock'n'roll, too young to die

D Wagner

Quote from: DDDIt seems that noise and recombination products are possible in the sound due to high-frequency pulse currents in the voltage converter. These products are hard to find hence they are "dangerous" enough.
Feeding LEDs - OK, feeding hi-gain stompbox - please think twice...

DDD,

Thanks for the warning.  I am still going to give it a shot just as an experiment and to satisfy my curiosity.  That and I really like the CMOS555 IC.  :P   Though, I think that I am actually using a TI551CN right now.

I have a handful of MAX1044s for stompbox use, but this thing worked so well I thought that it might be worth a shot.  

Derek

cd

You can use a 7660, and make an oscillator from the 555 (out of the audio range) and run the 7660 from that.

Nick123

That  is  exactly  what  I  do.
ICM7555 ( CMOS 555 ) (over)drives  ICL7660's  OSC
input  with  100kHz  clock which  is then  divided  by  2  in  7660.
It  works  fine.

Athin

actually you'll find that the 555 eats up a lot of current - what I did was to drive 2 7660 with an inverter based oscillator. BUT one 7660 was driven with the signal from the oscillator and the other was driven by the inverted signal - gave plenty of power, noise was small and out of the audio range. The schem and pcb are still on the server - here is the link to my post:
http://www.diystompboxes.com/sboxforum/viewtopic.php?t=24116&highlight=
DIY XOR die.

DDD

It doesn't matter what you use - old-fashioned 555 or its newer CMOS versions because pulse currents depend not only on the consumption of 555, but on the consumption of your device as well.
Then, using high frequency (much more higher than one can hear) is not a guarantee that you have no audible noise. Please remember RF filters on the inputs of most stompboxes or even built-in RF filters in some hi-quality pickups in spite nobody can hear RF.
Too old to rock'n'roll, too young to die