Hughes & Kettner RedBox Pro - Where to find parts...

Started by O, September 23, 2004, 03:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

O

I'm wanting to build a Hughes & Kettner RedBox Pro but I'm having a tough time finding parts. Is there a way to cross-reference the parts and track them down? I have the schematic and the layout, all I need is 5 pieces of the puzzle and I'll be in business. These are the parts in the schematic that I need...

If the parts can't be found (proprietary, etc...) is there a replacement? Does anyone have pictures of an opened RedBox?

Thanks Y'all! :)

Mike Burgundy

Well, the feet, enclosure, switches, XLR and jacks shouldn't be a problem. The coils are  well specified, the only problem is the audio transformer. If the schematic doesnsn't specify any impedance or winding ratio, and it IS in a really important spot, try a 1:1 or 10:1 or something - Mouser has lots of these.
hih

O

Hmm... so is there a way to check mouser for the numbers and specs? Do you know what do the coils look like?

Mike Burgundy

a coil is just another component, like caps and resistors, with a certain value.
So at mouser, you look for the coils chapter (>passives>inductors), and find a small signal coil with a value of 470 micro Henry, 2.2milliHenry and 4.7milliHenry- Henry is the "size" you measure coils in, like Ohms and Farads.
L1 is a double coil. Kdeep in mind there's a current rating next to that thing (schematic)!
Shouldn't be too hard - IF they're available. These days coils are somewhat difficult to get in different values.  Try to get one with a rating in or near audio frequencies.
You might want to go to a knowledgable store with this - it's what I always do ;)

O

Thanks for the pointers, Mike. You've been very helpful. :)

According to the schematic, these are the values for L1. 2x27mH 0,4A what does the 0,4A mean?

Under the transformer, it has this: ST5441/1 U1 Any ideas for the sound transformer? :?

Should I just give up and try to make another DI box with more readily available parts?

Mike Burgundy

0.4 Amperes. So it should be able to handle 0.4 Amps, which is more than standard RF inductors can do.
No idea about the isolation transformer - the ratio is what's important here. Plus if you want really good linearity, you might have to buy a somewhat expensive one, but I think Mouser has some that will at least work right, and not cost much. They're in the isolation transformer chapter.
I'm guessing its a high in, low out, (dunno, 500k in 10k out) or just a 1:1 isolation transformer.

O

Woo! I found a picture of the guts... now if I could only find a picture of the components (and the components) I would be set.