Question about Original Big Muff

Started by yano, September 23, 2004, 04:13:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yano

A buddy of mine wants me to help him converting his original big muff over to standard 9V dc wallwart use. He says that it currently has some weird jack that is supplied with 9V AC. Anyone have schematics or something that can get me started on figureing this out? I haven't actually seen the circuit yet, so I'm entirely blind....Thanks

Dan N

I've never seen a Big Muff with AC. Maybe the old Deluxe model had an internal power supply?

If it uses a battery, you can just work backwards when updating the jack for normal dc input.

Good luck!

Mark Hammer

I've never seen one either.  What I *have* seen is a wide variety of E-H pedals using mini phone jacks for wallwart inputs, which folks more accustomed to the Boss-style barrel jacks may think is for a different type of supply but is simply a different plug style.

You can easily snip the end off a barrel-style 9vdc wallwart, add a mini phone plug, and use that with the BMP.  Just note that with phone-style plugs/jacks, the tip carries V+ and the shaft carries ground.  There will be room inside the BMP for your buddy to park another smoothing cap between the tip and shaft connections of the jack.  Try using a 220uf/16v cap for a bit more hum rejection.

aron

It's gotta be DC, I've never seen an AC one. Not the original triangle muffs.