Power Supply Weirdness! Need help...

Started by Paul Marossy, September 23, 2004, 11:57:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Marossy

This is really strange. I am hoping someone can explain this one...

I have an Arion SAD-1 analog delay that I want to use on a stripped-down pedal board. Since it eats batteries very quickly, I am using a 9V 450mA wall wart with it. It puts out about 12V with this pedal attached to it, and it apparently doesn't have a problem with that. I also want to run a couple of things off of the same power supply, so I made a parallel power cord. Everything is center negative, so I know that is not the problem. Now, here's where the problem comes in: if I try to put anything else on the same power supply as the SAD-1, it will not work! The LED indicator lights up when I step on the switch, but there is no delay. If I remove the other things from the power supply, it works. I know that everything on the board doesn't come anywhere close to 450mA of power usage.

So, does anyone have any idea why the heck the SAD-1 would behave like this? I am baffled on this one...

niftydog

Have you measured the voltage of the wall wart with the SAD-1 and another pedal attached?

QuoteI know that everything on the board doesn't come anywhere close to 450mA of power usage.

does that include the SAD-1? Maybe it's close to maxing out the wall wart on it's own?
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!
“It also sounded something like the movement of furniture, which He
hadn't even created yet, and He was not so pleased.” God (aka Tony Levin)

Fret Wire

Sounds similar to the old Boss ACA type power supply problems with several pedals.
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

Paul Marossy

niftydog-

I also tried an 9V 800mA adapter, same thing. That's what makes this so weird...

jrc4558

I'm thinking outloud, but try to decouple it. 47ohm/47µF cap to ground.
maybe?..

niftydog

ah, well then it's easy. It's possessed!  :twisted:
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!
“It also sounded something like the movement of furniture, which He
hadn't even created yet, and He was not so pleased.” God (aka Tony Levin)

Ge_Whiz

The reason is probably that the Arion splits the supply voltage internally and has a ground at the mid-point, to provide virtual +/- supplies, so the signal ground is not the same as the supply -ve. When you add a conventional DC pedal, the earth connection through the jack shorts out the virtual -ve supply in the Arion, preventing it from working. The LED is only connected between signal ground and +ve, so it still works.

Sorry, the only solution is to keep the PSU for the Arion separate.

Paul Marossy

Ge_Whiz-

I think you hit the nail on the head! That's gotta be what's going on here. I remember the last time I wanted to use that pedal on my other pedalboard (about 1 year ago), that is what I ended up doing. I couldn't think about it clearly because I was up till midnight working on the "problem" and it was making me mad...

Anyhow, thanks everyone.  8)