Capturing the classic NES sound...

Started by el zilcho, September 24, 2004, 04:28:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

el zilcho

Hey, I know this will probably sound extremely stupid to most of you, but I was wondering if any of you knew of any pedals or combination of pedals that would allow me to create a sound reminiscient of the music from old Nintendo games.  I don't know why, but I've got some spare time on my hands and I've been wanting to do this for a while so I thought I'd give it a go.  I know it's dumb but I thought it would fun for whenever we play a theme from a Nintendo game...

If anyone here has any suggestions on where to get started, I'm up for experimention.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

bobbletrox

maximee

Well, I don't know of any guitar FX pedal, that can achieve this sound.
But just FYI: There is a guy who produces cartridges for the original NES that have a midi port. It's called MidiNES. That way you can play the NES soundchip via a midi controller, which again could be a midi endorsed guitar in your case. For my taste a little too much effort for just one song, but I plan on doing this...I have a Roland guitar/midi synth sitting here. I'm still thinking about getting the MidiNES for $79 on ebay or building my own not NES but C64 synth...
Currently I'm more on the C64 side though...

check http://www.wayfar.net/0xf00000_overview.php for the MidiNES

Hal

have you seen that thing on ebaum's world with the guy playing the super mario music?

he even makes the coin sounds...

b_rogers

i played a DIY fuzz face at a local store a few years ago that had a
"nintendo" knob but i didnt buy it.  sounded cool tho..

Brent
homegrown, family raised couch potatoes. temperament unsurpassed.
http://electricladystaffs.com/

GreenEye

the original Bazz Fuss (see homewrecker.com) has a synth sound, which to me, could be used for a nintendo fetish - you in a MiniBosses mood or something?  They rule, I've seen them live a few times - great harmonies!

el zilcho

No, no minibosses mood, sometimes we just feel the need to whip out a Nintendo theme as a salute to the module that raised us...

I've experimented with a number of fuzz's which is the advice I've gotten elsewhere and I haven't been very pleased with the results, as it just sounds, well...fuzzy.  I guess I'm looking for more of a cheap synthesizeresque sound if that makes any sense.  Anyway, thanks for the suggestions so far, they are appreciated!