Toggle Switch for THREE Clipping Diodes Sets?

Started by phillip, September 24, 2004, 09:56:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phillip

Is there a way to use a regular toggle switch to switch between THREE sets of clipping diodes in an OD250?  Right now I have a Silicon pair and a pair of LEDs, but I'd also like to have a pair of Germaniums for even more sonic possibilities.

TIA!
Phillip

RDV

EDIT:
Duh.
Don't try to think when you're tired, then research & find out you're wrong as hell.

RDV

cd

You need a SP3T (or higher), in rotary form.  You can't use a DPDT for three different sets - this would work for three different sounds, though (LEDs, 1n4148s, and both LEDs and 1n4148s).

phillip

Hmm I found a NKK SP3T toggle switch at Mouser.  The only problem is that they're $7 each, which isn't bad considering the awesome variety of sounds that this OD250 will have when it's all said and done...

Phillip

Peter Snowberg

Sure, no problem. You just need a SPDT center off (on-off-on). Wire the LEDs in there all the time and then attach the Si pair to one end of the switch and the Ge pair to the other.

As long as the switch is in the center off position, the LEDs will do their thing. If you switch either of the other diodes in there they will take over becaus ethey have lower forward voltages than the LEDs.  :D
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

cd

Quote from: Peter SnowbergIf you switch either of the other diodes in there they will take over becaus ethey have lower forward voltages than the LEDs.  :D

Ah, good to know!!!

phillip

Quote from: Peter SnowbergSure, no problem. You just need a SPDT center off (on-off-on). Wire the LEDs in there all the time and then attach the Si pair to one end of the switch and the Ge pair to the other.

As long as the switch is in the center off position, the LEDs will do their thing. If you switch either of the other diodes in there they will take over because they have lower forward voltages than the LEDs.  :D

Thanks Peter!  I didn't realize that it was that easy!  The SPDT center off switches are a lot cheaper than the NKK SP3T switches by a long shot.

Phillip

Steve C

Unless you specifically want a toggle switch, if you look at some of the DP3T slider switches they're under a dollar a piece.  I think the ones that I got were $.69, but they are a little big.  The DP3T's were cheaper for some reason.

DDD

Also you can modify Peter's idea in the following way: instead of LEDs or Si diodes you can use various serial diodes combination (Si+Ge, Si+Si, e.t.c.).
Too old to rock'n'roll, too young to die

petemoore

SPST's
 Wire the LED's, then put the other two sets of diodes on spst's, as each set with lower clipping threshold is engaged [you will have to have lower clipping threshold going both ways for this to work], the ones with higher threshold will not be doing anything.
 You'll have to keep the switches straight...cause the 'middle threshold switch will do nothing if the bottom threshold switch is engaged.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

siaoguitar

Hi, i going to do the rat mod for my rat clone which i m going to build,

looking at this picture:
http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/pics/rodent_inside.jpg

but i bought a 3way switch with 6 terminals
is it the correct switch?

Can i still use it?
How do i wire my rat for 3way mod? (except the 'turbo rat' mod:
http://www.diystompboxes.com/pedals/ratmod.gif