Rogue's $14 BOSS DS-1?

Started by otokomae, September 25, 2004, 12:29:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

otokomae

I read recently that the Rogue DST-5 Distortion pedal ( http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/150430/ ) was identical to the BOSS DS-1 pedal inside, even using the original boards with "DS-1" imprinted on them.  Does anybody know if this is true, or how to look it up?  That would be great, since the Rogue pedal costs only $14.95 right now.  I noticed that on Harmony Central reviews, the Rogue DST-5 is constantly compared to the DS-1 (but then, so does every other distortion pedal).  If anybody has any leads on this, please let us know!

jimbob

Wow- i hope someone knows this too--im curious..Esp for the price!

anyone?
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

otokomae

OK, I just found somebody else saying the same thing:  http://cgi.aol.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=41416&item=3749514159&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
Is there anybody out there, though, who can open one of these and confirm this?  It'd be really great to hear it from somebody who's not trying to seel one.  I may just buy one myself and open it up.

cd

Is $40 for a real DS-1 in a metal case not cheap enough?  :?

jimbob

It seems as though hes saying 15$ for a real one but without the good metal box..But i agree. 39.00 is already a steal..Im just curious is all. In fact i think its still cheaper to buy the real ds-1 then it is to build one. I just think its interesting that Rogue--"the always save" of musical equiptmnt might be doing this..I doubt it though..

on the other hand--if true--15 dollars is still cheaper than 39.00 and id just put it in another durable box..bla bla bla
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

bass_econo

I'm interested as well.  And yes I would rather have the one for 15.00 (if it's true).  After all I clip coupons to save $.50 on Ketchup, so yes it matter.  LOL

cd

IMHO the Rogue is false economy (don't even get me started on coupons).  For $15, you get the crap case and once you buy it, it's worthless - just try to resell it!  OTOH the DS-1 is $25 more, but the case is better, and if you add a couple of well known internet mods to it, you can at least get the original $40 you spent on it back.

otokomae

Ummm... try clicking that eBay link above one more time to see what these pedals are selling for on eBay.  That one went for $25.00, and $20.00 seems to be about average, so you'd actually MAKE money off the resell value!  Besides, who buys a pedal just for the purpose of selling it at only a modest loss?  If you don't like other people getting a DS-1 for less than you paid, fine, start your own thread about not liking it when other people get a deal on something, and quit posting on this one please.  I asked a simple question (scroll up to the original post, it's not too hard to find), so feel free to come back to this thread if you have an answer to it, or something useful to say.  Thanks!

Brian Marshall

same bad tone... now at a lower price...

heck if it is different in any way, it probably sounds better.

axr

i had a rogue dst5 and i like it more than my friend ds1.

bass_econo

I bought one on Ebay for $5.00 :D !!!  Yea!!!  I'll let you know how it sounds compared to the DS-1.

GreenEye

I won a DS-1 off ebay for about $15.  I immediately sold it after I tried it with all my amps.  BUT, the notion of a company selling an identical one new for $15 is interesting and funny.  I'd even get one to tear up for mods.

I wonder is it cheaper to buy a rogue pedal and salvage it for parts, than to get a case, jacks, switch, and knobs?

mlabbee

I've never played a DS-1 - seems to get some good press on guitargeek.  I looked at the schematic on fuzzcentral and it looks like a rat-like architecture.  Do the sounds compare favorably?  Any currnecy to the assertion on gg that teh japense versions sound better?

Hal

Quote from: GreenEye
I wonder is it cheaper to buy a rogue pedal and salvage it for parts, than to get a case, jacks, switch, and knobs?

its not.  The case is plastic crap that you wouldn't want.  The pots are plastic crap that you wouldn't want.  The jacks are plastic crap, probably PCB mount, that you wouldn't want.  The switch is spst momentary/logic, maybe worth $1. The knobs may be nice.

otokomae

Quote from: bass_econoI bought one on Ebay for $5.00 :D !!!  Yea!!!  I'll let you know how it sounds compared to the DS-1.

Cool!  If you could, open it up and tell us what's inside!  I'm really wondering how close it is to the DS-1, or if, in fact, it IS a DS-1, just in a different case, which is what I'd originally heard (though I realize that may have been something that happened for only a short run in these pedals, or something).  Anyway, thanks, and I can't wait to hear your review of what the pedal sounds like!

jimbob

Im curious as well. I doubt id buy it.. Id prob just get a ds-1..U can atleast re sell it for something.

Makes me wonder who else might be doing this ( making effects of other companies)

Whats with Maxon/ Ibanez? WHos first with expl. Ts-808 Same thing?