Ferric Chloride and Etchants

Started by littlegreiger, September 25, 2004, 02:56:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

littlegreiger

Can someone please tell me where I can get Ferric Chloride, Ammonium Persulfate or some other etchant chemicals.

Peter Snowberg

They're available all over the place. Where are you? I'm sure a local supplier can be found. :D
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

littlegreiger

I live in a small town in Canada.  The population is around 18,000.

Peter Snowberg

littlegreiger

Why can't stores ship the chemicals?

Peter Snowberg

I'm sure they can, but these chemicals are hazardous materials so there might be liability, paperwork, licensing, or some other kind of problem. It's probably not worth the effort because of the danger.  

Give MG a call and I'll bet they can tell you anything you want to know. 1-800-201-8822 Ext. 126

littlegreiger

Thanks for your help I think I will call them or email them.

toneman

HASMAT---(HAZadardous MATerials).
can't go by air.
should B able 2 go by ground.
Are there RatShacks near U??
google for "ferric chloride" and others.
don't know about Canadian rules&regs, though.
U could buy a pcb already etched(?)
saytuned
tone
  • SUPPORTER
TONE to the BONE says:  If youTHINK you got a GOOD deal:  you DID!

littlegreiger

There is a radioshack near me but I asked them to order it for me and they said they would.  So I phoned them back today and they said that they never ordered it.  And I don't really want to buy a pre-etched board but it looks like I may have to.

Peter Snowberg

I've had varied luck with RadioShack ferric chloride. I think I may have gotten some old stock. :?

Ammonium or sodium persulfate are possibly better for the environment.

sir_modulus

What town? In what province? I'm in Canada. Here we have lots of alternatives. Look under manitoba, Active an Tip Top electronics both sell mg chems stuff, and ship. Abra electronics has a montreal based canadian distrabution centre. Look at places like that. Whats you location?

littlegreiger

Which do you think is better ferric chloride or ammonium persulfate?  And how many times can you reuse each?

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

I prefer persulphate because 1. you can see thru it, and 2. it doesnt stain stuff so easy, and doesn't attack stainless steel sinks so rapidly.
Disadvantage is, persulphate needs to be at least slightly warm (some ppl put the etching bowl in a larger hot water bowl, I use a fish tank heater).
I believe ferric lasts longer, but I've used persulphate that was mixed for a couple of weeks.
As for the environment, i guess the copper is the worst byproduct, and it is there no matter what you use. (dont flush it into a septic tank).
As for drinking either, I personally wouldn't, but the ferric chloride would be a fairly fast but extremely painful death, compared to the persulphate. Keep ALL chemicals away from kids, but PARTICULARLY ferric chloride.