A/B/Y Question

Started by jasonober, September 25, 2004, 11:17:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jasonober

so i built an aby today following wizard's scheme(hope it's ok)
http://diystompboxes.com/sboxforum/viewtopic.php?t=24778&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15
scroll down   anyway my question is... Is there a way to make it so that the Y volume is the same as A or B   i was thinking that a pot could be used to adjust this before it goes into the Y switch
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

wizard

When you wire two 1M ohm resistors in parallel, you'll get a equivalent resistance of 500K ohm, that's why you're having a volume problem.

Maybe you need a active buffer behind the pickup to prevent the amps/effects  from loading down the pickup. Because when Y is on, the pickup see less load impedance and hence volume drop happens.

If that's not what you're suffering, forget about what I've said.
I DIY therefore I am.

jasonober

Y is louder than A or B   what you describe sounds like A or B would be louder

wizard

Quote from: jasonoberY is louder than A or B   what you describe sounds like A or B would be louder

I think that Y is louder because there're two amps working at the same time. It that true?

I just came up with a new idea that could solve your problem without adding any switch.

But it may require a buffer.

I will post the shematics in a few days.
I DIY therefore I am.

jasonober

exactly this is happening because with y you are combining two amps      i'm a beginner so i'm not too sure i know where/how  the signal gets combined when Y is on     i thought if it enters at one place a pot could be used to lower this signal a bit to mach a or b's level

wizard

If you're using active pickups, the pot could be 20K~100K.
If passive pickups being used, Try 500K or more.
Find the best POT value by experiments.
I DIY therefore I am.