Powdercoating boxes

Started by austin, September 26, 2004, 02:28:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

austin

I want to silkscreen some boxes and I'm too lazy to paint the boxes myself.  I don't want to sand the boxes either.

Does anyone get their boxes powdercoated?  what does it typically cost?  Do you have to prep the boxes in any way?

TIA

Brian Marshall

well if you want it black white beige or ansi51 gray (standard electrical box color) then you can sometimes get your stuff thrown in with another run.  if you want a specific color its only worth it if you are making a bucnh of them.

bobbletrox

I've had a bunch of enclosures powdercoated in the past.  The powdercoater guy usually tells me what colors he's doing that week and does the enclosure in one of those bigger runs for AU$10.  I've had some great sparkle blue and pearl finishes done...but then again I've tried black (which they do alot of) and it doesn't look so hot.   It really depends on what colours are being used when you turn up.  Although the powdercoater I go to can do a specific colour for AU$30 -which isn't bad if you're doing a few enclosures at once.

You don't have to prepare the box in any way either.  I've taken boxes in with pencil marks all over them!

On a side note, it'd be interesting to see if applying decals to powdercoat and then putting a clear coat over the top would work.

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Bobbletrox, would it be possible to ask your guy about CLEAR powder coating? (I think this is done sometimes to protect metal finishes). For all I know, it might be possible to powder coat right over the top of glued-on art. Maybe I'm dreaming... but imagine!

The Tone God

Quote from: Paul Perry (Frostwave)For all I know, it might be possible to powder coat right over the top of glued-on art. Maybe I'm dreaming... but imagine!

The artwork would have to be able to withstand tempatures of more then 200C (400F) without any change in shape or apperence in order to be powder coated. I don't think glued-on artwork would survive.

Andrew

bobbletrox

You can get clear powdercoat?  I didn't know that!

Anodised aluminium looks great and comes in heaps of nice colours too (check out Way Huge pedals for an example).  There's a place that does it that's not too far from my house, but I've never found out about how much it costs.  I wouldn't think it'd be that expensive considering they just bathe the metal in chemicals.  It doesn't sound too labour intensive!

mlabbee

I think the cost is similar to powdercoating. It's the same kind of deal - $x per run, no matter how many pieces you put in.  My company powder coats and anodizes components of our products - I would be able to get my stuff thrown in, but all we ever do is black!

bobbletrox

Would you have to sand the aluminium before taking it to be anodised, or will the shop take care of everything?

Is anodising a labour intensive process?  I was just rudely assuming it was easy (sorry) :oops:

Peter Snowberg

Anodizing is a touchy process in some ways but you can DIY anodize. The chemicals (and their residues!) however are NASTY!

Lots of cool effects are possible. Just check out what the paint-ballers are doing with their guns.

Caswell has everything you need to get started. :D

http://www.caswellplating.com/kits/

Do LOTS of research before you invest!!!!!!!!
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

brett

QuoteOn a side note, it'd be interesting to see if applying decals to powdercoat and then putting a clear coat over the top would work.
That's what I do, and the results are great.  I use a grey/silver powdercoat (king of pearloid), and the guy does iy for $6 per box (US$4).  Cheap as paint and 10 times as hard!  

The adhesion between the decal and the powdercoat can be a bit weak.  Light sanding (eg. 600 grit)of the powdercoat under the decal might help.  Anyway, with a good strong clear topcoat, it's excellent!

good luck
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

JT

What Kind of business does one look for to see if they would powdercoat a few boxes ?

Michael Allen

What do you guys like to use for a topcoat? I've used several and none of them seem very hard...

brett

I used a small, friendly business.  Flexible prices, etc.  They could see that I wasn't a millionaire.

Clear coats; a good quality auto finish works well.  The decal must be COMPLETELY dry.  Let the finish dry for at least a day or two, preferably a week.

cheers
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

smallbearelec

Peter--

My first question when I saw your comment was: How does the process work on cast aluminum boxes? As you know, they contain a certain amount of silicon that is necessary to the molding process but produces gray crud when you try to anodize. I looked in the link you gave, and they mention a "deoxidizing/de-smutting solution." Does that take care of this problem?

Re Powder Coating:

Eastwood www.eastwoodcompany.com offers a DIY powder coating kit and materials. I have a distributor agreement with them and can offer anything in their catalog at the listed on-line price + shipping.

Peter Snowberg

Steve, yes, I have seen quite a few comments about trouble with anodizing cast aluminum. The de-smutting is supposed to take care of this, but I have never done the process myself.... only a lot of research to see I don't have the space to do it. :(

The largest issues seem to be with keeping the anodizing tank in the right temp range and disposal of the toxic waste left over.

I have a link somewhere for a place with kits that use a slightly different chemistry which is supposed to be easier on biology. I'll see if I can dig it up.
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

Hal

the boces/auto tech kids in my school learn how to powder coat....I was gunna get someone to do an effect box for me, but they got sick and school ended and then it was crazy getting the box back to me for me to just paint myself.......

anyway, high schoolers might be able to get it done for free.