Give me some suggestion

Started by shredgd, September 26, 2004, 04:41:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shredgd

I'm about to build a tubescreamer in a metal case I recycled from another project.The box has got three pot-sized holes (and that suits the tubescreamer needs fine) but it also has a small hole which was made for a mini DPDT switch.
Now my question is: how can I use that? what extra-feature can I add to the pedal by using a DPDT mini-switch?
The easiest thing I thought of is a switchable 470k resistor in series with the drive pot, to add extra-gain, but actually I don't need extra-gain by this pedal, so it would be useless.
Any other idea?
Consider I also have got a bit of extra space in the circuit perf-board, if you think of something which involves a few extra components. It might even be a separate very small effect with no need of pots (or which needs one single pot thay I might replace with a trim pot): in that case I would use the mini-switch to choose between the tubescreamer and that other effect.

One more question: a lot of time ago I built a Son Of Screamer, which sounds good but it sits in a plastic case so it is not properly shielded, and it doesn't fit into the metal case. That's why I decided to build the circuit again, but this time I thought to give the "whole" tubescreamer a try: is this the right choice, or does the Son Of Screamer sound better?

Thank you in advance,

Giulio
Protect your hearing.
Always use earplugs whenever you are in noisy/loud situations.

My videos on YouTube: www.youtube.com/shredgd5
My band's live videos on YouTube: www.youtube.com/swinglekings

Steben

You could switch between clipping diodes...
(two back to back leds <-> 1N34 + 1N4148 <-> ...)

...or you could switch between Cap+resistor combination in the opamp circuit. Now you have 4k7 and 0.047 to ground, right? That's a low-roll-off at 720hz, kinda treble boost. You could switch between that and for example 4k7 and 0.15 with roll-off at 240hz (more low-mid boost), or 2k2 and 0.47 (at 150hz, but double as much gain)...
  • SUPPORTER
Rules apply only for those who are not allowed to break them

DDD

TS considerably cuts LF (lower than 700 HZ!!! It's true!!! Please check up its schematic diagram) to reduce intermodulation distortion.
So you can improve this feature with additional switch to play "one-string" riffs with the better bass responce.
Too old to rock'n'roll, too young to die

petemoore

MXR Micro Amp into "Stompbox Alexa" [might hafta to a search for S.A.].
 Makes for one Super Beefy TS+ device. I like a 5534 in Micro Amp...clean/quiet excellent !!!
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

shredgd

I already use a different cap-resistor combination in the opamp circuit in my Son Of Screamer to have more bass, and I'm happy with it, even if I don't remember how the original combination sounds (because that was my first build and there was something wrong with it...). So maybe I'll go for a switch to choose between original and modded. Or maybe I'll just place the mini-switch with nothing connected to, to close the extra-hole...!!
Pete, the MXR microamp won't fit, unluckily...
Thank you very much for the time you spent to answer.

Giulio
Protect your hearing.

aaronkessman

yes, i was going to suggest a clean boost ahead of the TS circuit.

GreenEye

Regarding that old plastic case: did you ever see that article on spraying the inside or outside (or both) surfaces of a plastic case with 3M aerosol adhesive, and then lining it with a layer of aluminum foil to sheild it?  I guess it works.

shredgd

I read the article, very long ago, in fact that plastic box is already shielded with some layers of aluminium foil and the hum is very low (but I didn't manage to get it to zero...), so the pedal is usable, but I want to re-build the circuit for other reasons, too: 1) that pedal is very light, so it moves easily; 2) it can only house a tiny stompswitch ("fingerswitch" would be more correct...). So I want something more reliable, and what better upgrade than a sturdy metal box recycled from an unsuccessful build?...!
Protect your hearing.

Marcos - Munky

A switch to change the diodes will be cool.

mlabbee

My TS clone switches between a silicon diode pair and a silicon/led pair for clipping.  I use a 3PDT so I can change the gain between the two as well, since the LED clipping circuit has a  noticeable increase in gain, requiring some fiddling if you want to switch between modes while playing, but if you just want the two sounds, a dpdt switch will work fine.  I like the clipping stage combinations I chose because the difference between the two is not at all subtle, so it really is like having two pedals.

shredgd

I never tried other combinations of diodes (I use 1N4001 one side and 1N4148+germanium diode the other side), because I didn't think the difference is that audible and, once again, I think I like this one very much. But from what you said, I now think I have to experiment. Probably I'll socket the diodes, first of all. Then I might use the switch to choose between the two favourite combinations...
Protect your hearing.