OT: Guitar buzz noise although wiring seems correct

Started by Gil, September 26, 2004, 07:30:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gil

Hi all.

I replaced a strat's pickguard with a good and old one I have on which there are 2 Fender single coils and one (bridge) Schaller humbucker.

The problem is that although all grounding seems correct and connected, there is constant buzz/hum noise which is eliminated as I touch the strings/bridge (as expacted when no correct grounding exists....)

I wired the humbucker as follows:
- South start to ground with humbucker unit ground wire
- South and north pickups finishes together to the edge lug of a 3 pole two state switch
- Start of North pickup to the middle lug of the switch. Same middle lug is connected as hot bridge pickup output to the main pickup 5 position selector.

It sounds and function just OK - while the 2 state switch selects between a single pickup and two pickup modes for the humbucker pickup,
and the 5 position acts as on a standard strat.

No out-of-phase problem on the 2nd and 4th positions...

Don't know if this has anything to do with the problem but I also changed the tone cap from 0.033uf to 0.1uf ...

Any idea ??

Gil

Strange, I checked it with an AC30 amp at a different place and it didn't show up....

R.G.

You're likely to be getting buzz from the room around you. Fluorescent lighting in particular is well known to emit a hum-frequency buzz that's sometimes impossible to get rid of other than moving out of the room (or building). It comes in on the power line and is radiated into the guitar and amp.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

RDV

Some of the places I play, the wiring is so bad that even with humbucklers you can't turn on any kind of fuzzstortion without hum as loud as the guitar signal itself. I use a volume pedal at those places to kill the signal on rests & between songs. Then other places you can turn em' all on with no problemo.

RDV