the ultimate fuzz/dist/od would have...

Started by b_rogers, September 26, 2004, 07:47:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b_rogers

what features would the ultimate dirt box have?

which features are most important to you guys besides good tones?

Brent
homegrown, family raised couch potatoes. temperament unsurpassed.
http://electricladystaffs.com/

Marcos - Munky

To me, need to have high gain, and be very sensible to artificial harmonics.

David

A JFET input buffer
Switchable soft or hard clipping
A built-in compressor
3-band tone control
true-bypass switching with status LED
Battery or power supply operation
Clean boost only mode
Compressor only mode
Distortion only mode

lightningfingers

U N D E F I N E D

stm

Quote from: lightningfingersA beer opener.

To me a Capucchino serving stompbox would be great  :wink:

OK, now seriously, I think the most difficult to get in a stompbox WITHOUT an actual tube amp in front is a good "cranked power amp" sound.  Smooth & mild overdrive with compression and dynamics, useful for "just no so clean" chordwork.

For instance, the second sample on Professor Tweed gets close. On the other hand, I don't like the Peppermill samples cause I find the sound too gritty.  Maybe "18" emulation by ROG has also some nice sounds.

RDV

Lonestarjohnny

Would have a cord plugged into MY GUITAR ! :mrgreen:
Johnny

jimbob

a sign that read  "free to good home" ...and "comes with free beer"
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

b_rogers

i guess what i meant is what features are most important to YOU in a od/dist/fuzz...like vol knob cleanup, clipping type, tonestack, etc...

Steben

Well i think the differences between od, dist and fuzz are very important to make such comments.

Overdrive (low drive?): very touch sensitive off course (dynamics), possibilities from soft to hard clipping, "pre" tone control

Distortion (heavy drive right?): Good post tone control is for me the most important with high distortion, all the rest is bullocks, high gain sounds allways the same...

Fuzz : soft to hard clipping, second order harmonics, rather no tube sound at all, it would be no fuzz right? ;-)
  • SUPPORTER
Rules apply only for those who are not allowed to break them

Steben

At this moment I'm stuck with my RangeMaster clone in front of a Boss DS-1 set on low gain. Real cool BlackSabbath 1 sounds.

Too bad I was actually thinking of modding the DS-1. I'll make it switcheable ;-)
  • SUPPORTER
Rules apply only for those who are not allowed to break them

WGTP

Sweet Bright Singing Sustaining highs

Hot and Nasty bottom end

Magical 3 dimentional mid-range with grind and swirl.

Inspirational, Indistructable, Irresistable

Raging Marshall Stack Simulator

With spell check

In that cool curved flat box I saw in Puretube's pic. made of platinum with a 1000 back up boxes I could sell and retire.

The ultimate tone   8)
Stomping Out Sparks & Flames

Mark Hammer

1) Continuously variable or switch-changeable dynamics.

2) Gain recovery stage for high output with minimal clipping/coloration.

3) Switchable/bypassable tone control.

4) Pre-clip band emphasis.

5) Two-pole lowpass filter for fizz cleanup.

Line 6 has a new line of pedals coming out (http://line6.com/tonecore/) that I gather are single-purpose modelling pedals.  The Crunchtone pedal is VERY sweet with a lot of different capabilities for an overdrive unit aimed at bluesies.  The sound clips are impressive.

WGTP

Forgot - 4 swithcable pre/post gain/distortion parametric EQ sections

Fusion power  8)

LP Hovercraft

...Sounds like a girl I used to date.  I knew there was some kind of subliminal motive behind this hobby for me :P   Other than that, I'd say my Skyripper is the MVP on my rig.  A universe of fuzz and boost!![/quote]

WGTP

marc

a saturated fuzz sound that you could play a maj/min 7th chord through (or anything more harmonically complex than natural 4th or 5th intervals!) without sounding like a pig coughing up mud. but the math's not in it i guess.

b_rogers

thanks for the answers guys...i was thinking about different options to put in one pedal that would please most people and adapt to most guitars and amps. i have a few friends who want to pay me to make them one box that could "do it all"  

so far i am thinking of

ORANGE SQUEEZER>RM AXIS>TS-9 or OS>FF/axis>BSIAB2  with independent tone controls, different clipping options,  boost switch and switchable incap.

any thoughts on which circuits to combine to cover most of the bases?

Hal