BEST Distortion/Overdrive Build

Started by otokomae, September 27, 2004, 12:29:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Z

The Alexa is my takeoff on Jack Orman's Son of Screamer, with some tweaks to make the tone ctrl useable and a fuller range.

Schem is here:
http://briefcase.yahoo.com/fenderelectric

look under "Stomp Projects" you will find the schematic. Or email me & I'll send it along.

The Alexa does NOT strip off all the bass, so for a marshally sound you'd probably reduce the value of the input cap to like .05uF (I used a .1uF).

Also the opamp can be a JRC 455X or whatever, it really does not seem to matter much. The Texas Instruments chip I am using I got for free by asking TI for a few samples (you just need a business address...)

brett

Hi.  The tubescreamer has to be a contender - subtle crunch.  Especially with 3 x 1N4148 - asymetric clipping.  Another really versatile pedal is the Axis fuzz.  Set it to minimal or mild fuzz and let your vol control do the fine-tuning.  Really brilliant.  See fuzz-central

Another interesting circuit is the Buzztone (Bosstone variant). http://members.optusnet.com.au/~jethro.dog/mypic137.jpg

cheers
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

vdm

if you're just looking for some nice crunch i'd suggest the siliface II from runoffgroove. nice simple build with that great crunchy tone, and it works ok with solidstate amps too.

if you're also looking for a medium overdrive capability i'd go with the bluesbreaker (tonepad site), and if you want to get more gain out of it, you can jumper the resistor and capacitor after the gain control, but this results in a small gating effect on higher gain (which is cool, cuz it clamps down on the noise it generates at the higher gain :wink: )

trent

brett

Quotebluesbreaker (tonepad site)
Yes!  Similar to, but better than a tubescreamer, IMO.
cheers
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)