A bit OT: effects loop hum

Started by jayp5150, September 27, 2004, 05:07:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jayp5150

I just noticed after replacing the 12VAC adaptor on my Digitech RP-series reverberator that I have a horrible hum if plugged through the effect loop of my 5150.  If I plug direct (up front) it does not do it as much, but the reverb sucks then.  I plugged a single cord from the in to the out of the loop, and no hum.

Could this be something in the power supply.  The only 12VAC 500ma I could find around here quickly was at Radio Shack.  It's a multi-selectable-voltage one for an answering machine.  The voltage and amperage matched, though.   Isn't that all that matters?

I did change the plug to the one from the original pwr supply, so it's not a bad connection.

Any clues where to go now?

Thanks ahead of time.

niftydog

if it is 12VAC output then the power supply isn't the problem.

I'm willing to bet it's a ground loop. Did it hum with the old supply?

QuoteIt's a multi-selectable-voltage one for an answering machine.

hang on... it's kinda unusual to have a multi-selectable output wall wart with an AC output... are you sure you haven't mixed up AC and DC wall warts?
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!
“It also sounded something like the movement of furniture, which He
hadn't even created yet, and He was not so pleased.” God (aka Tony Levin)

jayp5150

I just double-checked, and it is AC.  It's 800ma, though, not 500 (the original was 500).  Shouldn't be a big deal, right?

It may have hummed a bit before, but not like this.  I'll try it in another room, or with a ground lift.  I didn't think of that before.

Thanks.

niftydog

cool. Just lift the ground on the lead from the effects loop to the digitech.
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!
“It also sounded something like the movement of furniture, which He
hadn't even created yet, and He was not so pleased.” God (aka Tony Levin)