UPDATE=Distortion problm--great sound but ..

Started by jimbob, September 27, 2004, 05:17:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimbob

I have a distortion effect and i cant figure it out..Im getting sound--and sounds great but its very faint i have to turn the amp up ALOT to hear it but theres a signal getting lost in there somewhere. I chked the ic's tl072 and all of them are getting power..I sed the audio probe around in there and get that loud signal i need but i dont find the bad part.I changed out a few electro's for good measure..still no go..

any idea here? Im lost...

btw--chked all part and wires for being loose and all goos there too..
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

jimbob

ok- i got it!  Im assuming no one guessed this answer--due to the lack of responses :lol:    I had a bad out put jack..Owell--easy fix..Companies try to make it these days should play it safe and just use switchcraft jacks. Might be more expensive but im sure theres probably fewer problems as well...

to newbies--u should build an audioprobe! makes all the difference in the world! --I realized that i was getting a strong signal all the way to the out jack lead than nothing from there..I shoulda figured that one out quicker but....this was the 1st time id really ever used the audio-probe..Its awsome!!!
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

jimbob

Btw-- the distortion was a Visual Sound "Heckyl and Jeckyl"  http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/s=effects/search/detail/base_pid/151681/

Im not thrilled with their customer service and prices (esp not their jacks) but they really do make a great sounding distortion.

petemoore

Ya know I haven't had much troubles with RS and cheep jacks.
 I started 'grabbing' the lugs on the inside of the box when tightening the jack mounting nut...these lugs otherwise will probably twist around till the hit another one...causeing a short to ground of the signal path...sometimes I just use my hand with a piece of cardboard...[the lugs kind of poke you] or other times theres room to use a screwdriver to pry against...
  Once they're installed and working I haven't had any troubles with them.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.