SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

DS-1 mods?

Started by frkystyly36, September 27, 2004, 09:37:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frkystyly36

I'm thinkin about modding my Boss DS-1 distortion with the mods on fuzzcentral,

http://fuzzcentral.tripod.com/DS1.html

i dont think ill have problems with the resistors and caps.  Ive done simple mods like that before.  But im not too familiar with the diodes and LED replacements.  Its pretty tough gettin to the LED for me.  

Do you think the mod would work fine if the emit the diode and LED mods?
Would changing the resistors and caps work fine?

thanks

petemoore

So far I changed the OA on mine.
 I split socketted and used jumpers for pins 1-4. I made the 180degree bend of OA pins 1-4 but not at one point, I tried to bend easy on 'em..try at your own risk...pins 5-8 stick straight out the sides, there's room for it right next to that cap. Don't try this at work...lol.
 I haven't done the other mods, but IIRC, the caps mod according to text changes the tone control response, and Mine has Carbon Comps in it, and I'm believing more and more that cumulatively figured, CC caps may 'hash' up or harshen, [words searches]...IMO cause lack of clarity that is IMO undesirable...I'll post when I get results I think are tangibly evident.
 As far as the resistors, I'd have to study...what the mods are..
 Changing to metal film? May reduce biasing noise...
 changing values?...can change tone responses, gain/clipping levels, other things...I plan to do these mods...maybe I start on them next...
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Hal

yea, it works fine.  I tested mine before I did the LED, and it sounded great.  However, with the diode it'll sound even better...

You get the LED to replace by pulling the status LED, then put someting else in its place.  You orient the status LED so the negative pin (use a resistor and battery to test this. DONT OMIT THE RESISTOR) is where the black band was on the previous diode.

And check your PM's.

stm

Quote from: petemoore...and Mine has Carbon Comps in it, and I'm believing more and more that cumulatively figured, CC caps may 'hash' up or harshen, [words searches]...IMO cause lack of clarity that is IMO undesirable...
Do you mean "Ceramic Caps" or "Carbon Composition" resistors or both kind of components produce harshness?

Quote from: Halyea, it works fine. I tested mine before I did the LED, and it sounded great. However, with the diode it'll sound even better...
Hal, I don't get it clear here. First you mean changing a diode for the LED sounds great.  Then you talk that with the diode it'll sound even better.  You mean undoing the LED mod and putting back the original diode or other thing?

Now OT:  I've repeatedly seen the letters LOL and IIRC... I can't figure what they mean, can you please tell me? :oops:

Thanks,

STM

Hal

sorry if it wasn't clear, stm.

The mods call for replacing a clipping dide (1n914) with an LED.  To do this, I (and most people) pulled the indicator LED, put that in the place of one of the clipping diodes, and put a nice new green LED for status.  

However, I tested what I had (just the resistors and caps replaced) before i changed the clipping diode, and status LED.  The sound is greatly improved, but is improved even more after the completion of the mods.

frkystyly36

thanks for the tips guys!

So for the LED indicator, i just pull it out?  it pretty crowded in there.  Is it easily accessible?

Hal, check your PM.

stm

Hal, ahh, that makes sense to what I've heard already.

frkystyly36:
I'm pretty sure the use of the indicator LED to replace one 1N4148 diode is not necessary.  You can perfectly use another red LED (5 or 3 mm) instead, and save the hassle of removing the indicator... unless you really want to replace it with a blue LED for additional mojo!

Regards,

STM.

frkystyly36

i just figured out how to remove the LED.  Not too tough. Ill replace it with a GREEN one for some EXTRA mojo.  

which side of the LED goes where though? for the indicator light.  I cant tell which side is negative or not.  

thanks for the help guys

Hal

use the same battery method for that....

figure out which post is which on the little board, with a battery, 1k resistor to each LED pole....mark one, and put the replacement with the same orientation.

I think one of them also traces to the positive, and negative is switched, if i remembr correctly.  I did it the hard way when i did mine :-D

frkystyly36

checked the schematics and its the same one.

ready to go! :D

petemoore

Quote from: stm
Quote from: petemoore...and Mine has Carbon Comps in it, and I'm believing more and more that cumulatively figured, CC caps may 'hash' up or harshen, [words searches]...IMO cause lack of clarity that is IMO undesirable...
Do you mean "Ceramic Caps" or "Carbon Composition" resistors or both kind of components produce harshness?
>>>Sorry, absent minded nomenclature on my part,,,yes I meant the little brown flat caps.
Quote from: Halyea, it works fine. I tested mine before I did the LED, and it sounded great. However, with the diode it'll sound even better...
Hal, I don't get it clear here. First you mean changing a diode for the LED sounds great.  Then you talk that with the diode it'll sound even better.  You mean undoing the LED mod and putting back the original diode or other thing?

Now OT:  I've repeatedly seen the letters LOL and IIRC... I can't figure what they mean, can you please tell me? :oops:

Thanks,

STM
Convention creates following, following creates convention.