My Latest Project Unveiled

Started by D Wagner, September 28, 2004, 10:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D Wagner

Hey Pedalfiends,

I did this theremin/synth controller unit for a guy in Norway a few weeks back, and thought that was that.

Now here it is on public display.  http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=935c02ff7c90989725d73cbc93bc6f2b&threadid=741025

How cool is that?   :D  

Thanks for the hype Tim!

Derek

Mark Hammer

Nice and pretty, nice and complex, nice and thoughtful.

Two years ago, I had the pleasure of seeing a theremin controller up close that Harry Bissell had built for his wife.  This puppy put out MIDI-messages that could be used to drive tone generators.  Even though the hand movements are obviously continuous, the output was quantized.  Weird feel when it came to pitch control.  A bit like playing the piano by rolling an orange, where you had to pass through notes N to N13 to get to note N14.  That's not a BAD thing, just something to get used to.  It's the nonrandom-access aspect that sort of throws you.

petemoore

Shcizzamm...P.D.Cool...yes the paint job too, but the innards must have been interesting to 'install'.!
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Marcos - Munky

D Wagner

Quote from: petemooreShcizzamm...P.D.Cool...yes the paint job too, but the innards must have been interesting to 'install'.!

Thanks guys,

Yes, there was a LOT of offboard wiring.  This thing spent months on the breadboard.  But, I actually built the circuit over a period of three nights, working from when my son went to bed until about 1 or 2 in the morning.

BTW, that is a decal.  I had it printed at Office Depot using the laserjet decal stock that SB sells.  The decals look like paint because the pro machine puts on so much ink that it resembles a silkscreened image.  It is really glossy to begin with, and well worth the $0.94 per copy.  The best home copier can't touch the results from their $10,000+ printer.

Derek

Dave Z

that is gourgeous. How much work was it to prep the case to get the paint that glossy?

D Wagner

Quote from: Dave Zthat is gourgeous. How much work was it to prep the case to get the paint that glossy?

Dave,

The pictures do the box too much justice.  I had a schedule to meet in delivering the box to Norway, so it didn't turn out nearly as nice as I would have liked.

But, it is several coats of white over an etched and wetsanded box, the decal and three coats of clear.  I prefer to wetsand the color coat, and between multiple coats of clear, but time didn't allow for that.  I also like to follow the paint process with an application of quality auto wax for a brilliant shine and finish protection.

Derek

jimbob

"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

Peter Snowberg

That looks Sweeeeeeeeeeet! 8) 8) 8)

Beautiful work; epsecially if you did it in a rush. :D
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

Paul Marossy

Got pictures of the inside? It looks like the interior must be packed...   :wink:

Nice work, BTW.  8)

D Wagner

Quote from: Paul MarossyGot pictures of the inside? It looks like the interior must be packed...   :wink:

Nice work, BTW.  8)

Thanks Paul,

No pics of the inside.  I am not proud of the way the board is mounted in the box.  When I get my unit finished, I may snap a pic or two.  I have to finish the synth first, though.

It is not as packed as you might think.  There are just two ICs and a bunch of passive components.  The switches and pots do all of the work on this one.  There is a lot of wiring going on in there.

Derek

Paul Marossy

Ok, then wire bundles...  :wink:

bobbletrox

That pedal sure is packed with features. :o

I remember searching everywhere a few months ago for a simple schematic for a theremin style aerial/proximity plate that could be used to control effects.  I couldn't find anything!