Rat/MXR Dist.+ etc. chip mod.

Started by Aharon, September 28, 2004, 11:00:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aharon

I haven't tried it yet and I know that Joe Davisson has mentioned and used it in some designs but a good plug-in mod for those pedals using single op amps like the rat,mxr and others could be a CA3140.
It's a MOSFET op and for sure it's going to sound diferent.
The RAt has that cap tied to pins 1/8 ,may or may not have to be cut off if using a 3140 but if somebody tries it let us know.I was going to build one just to try but I got too many on the bench as is.
Aharon
Aharon

Mark Hammer

I've got a socket-ready Dist+ at home, and some CA3140's in the bin.  I can try it later tonight.  I like the 3140 for some things but have never expoited them for distortion purposes.  Country slide whiz Lee Roy Parnell has waxed poetically about the Ibanez MT-10 Mostortion which uses the CA3260 dual Mosfet op-amp.  3260's are hard as hell to find, compared to 3240's and 3140's.

Aharon

Thanks MArk,I couldn't wait and I was almost ready to make an MXR Dist Plus just to try but I'll wait for your results.
Aharon
Aharon

nightingale

interesting~
i am wating to hear the outcome.. i might have to throw a couple CA3140's onto my mouser order if possible..

i have a beatiful 0d250 clone laying around.. but i cant find much use for it.. might be a deadlly combo with some germ diodes?
thanks,
be well,
ryanS
www.moccasinmusic.com

petemoore

DIST+... :D
 Top dogger...I use 741 and Ge clipping --->l---   Gnd.  ---l<---, but with warp control 'twangy bite', then boost the input with a MiniBooster...or not...Superb Fuzz Tones.
 Rat uses a compensated OA, different than singles or duals, LC308, I don't know that theres purported to be a 'better' subsitute.
 Mostortion does sound interesting, I've built Discrete Mosfet circuits that I know work fantastic, I'm pretty sure I don't have any Mosfet OA's around here...
 TL072's
   4558's
     5532/5534's
       'lowly' 741's
 These are my current faves  5534 is great for Micro Amp and OS Comp, 4558's for OD's
  TL082's
   TL062's
    386's
      CA3080's...can't find another good use for [I have a SS phaze shifter].
  these are all Jfet,
 LM386 ...Im not sure about what it is, it's great for V1/2 and good for amps though
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Mark Hammer

I'm presently using a pair of stacked paralleled NE5534's in my Dist+, based on Dave Barber's suggesting from late last year.  Mike/Vsat suggested to me that one ought not to see much impact of the extra current delivery capability in the context in which it is used, but it sounds a little more "defined" to my ears  Admittedly, yanking op-amps in and out of sockets is a lousy way to A/B devices.