News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Gomez

Started by niftydog, September 28, 2004, 10:43:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

niftydog

Any fans here? Latest album rocks my socks!  :D

Any one know what effects they use? Particularly those beefy bass guitar overdrives and fuzzes?
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!
“It also sounded something like the movement of furniture, which He
hadn't even created yet, and He was not so pleased.” God (aka Tony Levin)

Ed G.

I don't know much about Gomez, but Morticia was pretty hot in her day. She pretty much started the whole 'goth chick' thing, I believe. :twisted:

RDV

You rang?

So I guess members of the Morticia fan club would be Morticians?

Uncle Fester used to work here at the unit, but he quit.

RDV

aaronkessman

saw em live last winter, right up near the stage. they use a bazzillion effects pedals - each guitarists had two packed-to-the-gills pedalboards. They used a surprising amount of tremelo. many pedals were electro harmonix (tube zipper and pulsar I think, as well as others). Cant remember much else, but it was nothing too exotic. nothing you couldnt get out of musicians friend.

nathan Dodd

saw the liquid skin tour and the cover band didn't show so the guys did a double set - every track from the first 2 albums!! very cool!! was too taken with the atmos to be looking at the fx tho. did notice that the "devil will ride" sound didn't come from a tube but a mic... but that's it. they were in the student uni bar in Cardiff (aint and never was a student tho) ohhhh the days! :roll:
Nathan.

EDIT: Got alot to thank Moticia for too hahaha

Kilby

Hopefully I will be seeing them twice in November.

But that's probably too far away.

Yet another British band that are not appreciated properly in the UK :(

Try their website as they apparently do respond to questions that are posted.

Rob...

mlabbee

From their forum:

ben's studio geetar sound is a well kept secret/mystery due to their recording process being so spazzy and whatever goes it's ridiculous. i know he used a danelectro UB1 as the instrument, will probably have used a jim dunlop 535Q vari-wah, as far as amps go, tchad brought so many odd little combos and sansamps with him i have no idea which particular model he used. it could well have been a honeytone mini amp, low on batteries, in a bucket with an inverted megaphone on it. then again it might not have been. onstage he uses a tele custom, middle pick up switch position, vari wah on, rocked back about three quarters, mxr super comp, tube screamer, rich blues and super hard on pedals all on. open A tuning. twat it like a mong. that's the ottewell magic.

niftydog

actually, I wonder how many Americans here saw this thread and thought "Gomez...? Who the hell?"

Potentially the worlds most under-rated band, IMHO!
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!

remmelt

i loved their first two but have since lost them from sight... so the latest album is good too? i'll have to check it out!

aaronkessman

(i know this isnt quite the place, but ) theyre hardly underrated. they won the friggin mercury prize. i'd say that's almost nearing the territory of overrated  :twisted:

im from america btw :)

aaronkessman

they do get some really cool sounds though.

niftydog

oh cool. I just sort of assumed that due to the overwhelming wave of responses this thread got from America that everybody just thought I was talking about Morticias doting husband and not the band! (but isn't the Mercury all about British bands?!)

remmelt, this album is probably their best yet. That's a big wrap from me considering I've been a huge fan for 5 years.
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!

RDV

I've heard of the band. If you've seen many(if not any) of my posts, you know I like to spread a bit of humor around, and no man, woman, child, or band is safe from my wit(lessness). I suppose some of it seems a bit silly in print, but I enjoy it. Some of my favorite stuff is how stupid & witless, and downright clueless we americans are. I cruise all the music sites and sample it all, but I never ever take anyone or any band so seriously that I will not sling some good old american mud on them!

HAH!

RDV

keninverse

in texas when you talk about gomez you have to preface your remark with: the pop-punk gomex or the UK gomez...
the front cover of the pop-punk gomez's LP exudes coolness...a yoda head in the shape of the danzig skull.