UPDATE-EH Micro Synth now working!!!!

Started by jimbob, September 28, 2004, 11:32:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimbob

Im pretty sure i figured out the problem with the EH Micro Synth. There was a  broken trim pot  connected to the input wire. No wonder i didnt get mucha sound or anything. I touched the broken top of the trimmer and started to get the signal--all kinda wierd sounds..Problem is i dont know what value that is and dont have a schematic..

Anyone have any ideas?

schematic?

Is there a value that might cover all bases?
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

niftydog

googley woogley boogley doogely foogely!!!!!!!!!  :|

kaching!

You saying the trimpot itself isn't labeled?! You can try measuring the track resistance!

If it's the input gain pot it's a 10k
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!
“It also sounded something like the movement of furniture, which He
hadn't even created yet, and He was not so pleased.” God (aka Tony Levin)

jimbob

Yea, its not labeled. Actually, the top part is broken off. Im sure its probably the gain pot..You have this one? Schematic? 10k hu? cool! Where you find that at?

upon closer look it looks like 1 lug connects to a 470 ohm resistor.
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

niftydog

QuoteActually, the top part is broken off.

You should still be able to double check by measuring between the outer two pins. It'll be near enough to 10k.

I have the bass microsynth. Best money I ever spent!

1 pin to a 470 ohm resistor, the other two to the opamp pins 1 and 2? That's the one!

QuoteWhere you find that at?

the schematic is at a few places, but that link I gave you has a whole bunch of other cool stuff as well! This one was third in the list at google.... just after some bozo who's trying to sell it for US$8!
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!

jimbob

Thats awsome! Thanks! I tried to google before i asked but got a lot of nothing..Ive never heard this thing before or played it. I bought it broken..I cant wait to see if that did it..I hope so!

thanks again

jim

niftydog

QuoteIve never heard this thing before or played it

Holey donuts, Batman! Are you in for a hell of a surprise!

If you get this working, and you've never heard it before, take it from me, your fingers will be bleeding by the time you're done with it on that first night!!!
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!

jimbob

OK--i got it working! turns out that when i took it off the board ( the trim pot) it was written underneath..it read-104. So i got a RS 100k trimmer and it works great!! Awsome effect!!

BTW- i bought new but broken / non working condition w box for $ 9.99 usd. I wasnt about to pay 200.00 usd plus for that.. Cause i knew I would eventually figure it out.

I need to concentrate on pedals you all know around here..Wasnt a whole lot of replies so i assume thats since most concentrate on the DIY side of it all..
Either way all good..Im always getting help from everyone on all my DIY stuff we do here--

Anyway-- Im getting better at this,  "effect building/repairing" thing, as my last commercial effect i bought and fixed was Jecyl Hyde distortion and a new Deluxe Memory Man 5 knob..  Im getting better!

Mark Hammer

Check out the MicroSynth mod article in DEVICE over at my site.  There are a few recommendations for improving tracking and other things.

jimbob

StephenGiles

"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

jimbob

You all should see inside one of these things=--tons of jrc4558 and ca3094e  some diodes, and sliders--ect..2 boards.

jimbob

MArk- I chked your site-- I didnt see anything about mods for that..This is a re-issue if that makes any difference

puretube

jimbob

Puretube right once again!!

Im getting used to / and better at working on this EH stuff..They seem to have a tendency to stop working due to mechanical ...I figured as much but i chked out the circuit anyway w my meter and audioprobe. I was going to get this going sooner or later..

Puretube? Why is that such a common thing? (mechanical) Is there a high rate of this happening? Seems the only time i get this stuff is when its broken--and up to me to fix it..Im happy either way cause i get it cheap that way and a challenge. So far ive fixed the Del Memory Man, Micro Synth, a Tube wiggler, and a few others..All mechanical problems.

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Quote from: jimbobWhy is that such a common thing? (mechanical) Is there a high rate of this happening?
If a fx box is designed correctly, then the ONLY thing that can go wrong is mechanical failure.
And, no matter how rugged something is, people can break it, even if they have to use an axe, or put it in the post.
If you were a doctor, you would think everyone is sick! because nobody else visits!
The bane of my life (as a manufacturer) is switches, for sure.