104? whats that mean?

Started by jimbob, September 29, 2004, 12:12:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimbob

UNderneath the trim pot i need replaced it has a  "104" what does that mean?
if this were a capasitor i would understand.

does this mean 100k?
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

bioroids

I think is the same notation used in capacitors, but to express the resistance (in ohms) of the pot. So this should be 10 followed by 4 zeroes, so you get 100000ohms or 100Kohms.

Please anyone correct me if I'm wrong

Luck

Miguel
Eramos tan pobres!

jimbob

OK -- i got it ..thanks

btw--it was 100k
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

mlabbee

When in doubt, hit it with your multimeter. I started checking everything before I put it in a circuit after I ran across a mislabelled resistor (took me forever to figure out why the damn thing didn't work and I checked the resistor like 10 time because I couldn't beleive it was mislabelled).

jimbob

So how do I chk resistors? I never went outta my way to do that..I use audio probe..ect..

I have a multi meter..what do i touch what with? Negative lead to... ect..

such a newbie question!  sorry.

mlabbee

No worries - I still have trouble figuring it out sometimes!  :-)  

Set the multimeter to the range you think the resistor is in (for instance, on mine, it has a 200k setting, which means it will read any resistance up to 200k ohms).  Crank the pot completely to one end.  Place one probe (doesn't matter which) on one of the outer leads on the pot (again, doesn't matter which) and the other proble on the middle lead.  If it reads zero (or very close to it), crank the pot the pot the other direction, to the end and the resistance reading should go up to the max resistance of the pot.  In your case, it should read around 100k.  If the meter reads nothing, try changing the setting up or down on the meter, as the pot may be out of the rangeof the particular meter setting. (i.e., if the pot is higher, the meter won't read at all.)

jimbob

You should be a teacher! I understood that very easily. I appreciate your time writing all that.

thanks

jim